520 E. Church Street


Libertyville, IL 60048
Architectural Classification: Renaissance Revival
Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville

Building name
Earl Ladder Company/Fould's Milling Company

Ground Floor Use
Manufacturing

Upper Floor Use
Manufacturing

Current Occupant
Foulds Pasta Company

Zoning


Number of Stories
Multiple

Property Index Number


Within Local District?
No

Local Dist Contrib/Non-Contrib?
C

Local Landmark?
No

Year


Local Landmark Eligible?
Yes

Criteria
H

NR District Contrib/Non-Contrib
C

Within District?
No

NR Landmark?
No

Year


NR Eligible?
Yes

Criteria
A

Alternate Address?


Category
Building

Condition
Good

Integrity
Moderate alterations and additions

Current Use
Industry/Processing/Extraction - manufacturing facility

Historic Use
Industry/Processing/Extraction - manufacturing facility

Secondary Structure


NR Second


Architectural Classification
Renaissance Revival

Details


Other Year
additions--1906 (c); 1920 (c); 1955 (c)

Date source
Illinois Digital Archives/Sanborn maps/surveyor

Wall Material (Current)
Brick

Wall Material 2 (Current)
Wood/concrete block

Plan
Irregular

No of Stories
3.5, 3, 2, 1

Roof Type
Flat

Roof Material
Not Visible

Foundation
Not visible

Porch


Window Material
Wood

Window Material 2
Aluminum/vinyl, Glass Block, Metal

Window Type
Combination

Window Configuration
Combination

Significance
The Foulds Milling Company first began operation in this building (constructed for a ladder company in 1894) in 1905-6, and continues to manufacture pasta at this site. The building, which includes several historic additions dating from the early-to-mid 20th century, is eligible for designation as a local landmark and may also be eligible for individual listing to the National Register of Historic Places for its associations with Libertyville's industrial development and history.

Historic Features
3.5-story original section of building features stepped parapet with raised center bay; brick corbelling below parapet; paired round-arch window openings at 4th floor of front facade

3-story section east of original 3.5-story building is an historic addition dating from c. 1905-6--buff brick exterior matching original building, four slightly recessed bays across front facade, segmental arch window openings

2-story section east of 3-story c. 1905-6 addition dating from c. 1920 (Sanborn maps indicate that the building was originally 1-story, with 2nd story added some time between 1924 and 1933)

Office addition at west end (late 1920s-early 1930s)

Alterations
[see historic features for historic additions]

2-story east end addition dating from c. 1955-60

Wood shed-roof and hipped-roof entry bays along south (front) facade; most windows on building either replacement (glass block, metal, and vinyl) in downsized openings or bricked in

Old Address (city dir.year


Building Moved?


Moved From


Original Owner


Original Architect


Architect Source


Builder


Surveyor
LR

Surveyor Organization
Ramsey Historic Consultants

Survey Date
May-June 2016

Survey Area
Downtown Libertyville

Old Address


Date of Construction


Moving Permit #


Date Moved


Building Permit #


Date


Building Permit Description


Cost


Original Owner Occupied?


Exterior Alteration Permits


Other Permit Information


COA Info


Historic Info
From Illinois Digital Archives (information provided by Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and Cook Memorial Public Library District): "Factory and headquarters of Foulds Macaroni Company which moved to Libertyville from Cincinnati in 1906. The structure, originally a ladder factory, was built in 1894 with timbers from the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago. In its early years Foulds was a major employer in Libertyville, well-known for its summer company picnics and winter Christmas parties to which the whole town was invited."

Other Sources
Historic photos of building at Illinois Digital Archives (in collection of Libertyville Mundelein Historical Society and Cook Memorial Public Library):

http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/106/rec/3

http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/6167/rec/1

http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/2089/rec/2

Historic photo of building before additions (c. 1897) on p. 43 of LIBERTYVILLE ILLUSTRATED

Sanborn Maps: 1907(Sheet 3), 1912 (Sheet 4), 1924 (Sheet 7), 1933 (Sheet 6), 1948 (Sheet 6)

Historic Info Compiler
LR

Volunteer