154 School Street


Liberytville, IL 60048
Date of Construction: 1939
Architectural Classification: Colonial Revival
Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville

Building name


Ground Floor Use
Residential Apartments

Upper Floor Use
Residential Apartments

Current Occupant


Zoning
R-8

Number of Stories
2

Property Index Number
1116404048

Within Local District?
No

Local Dist Contrib/Non-Contrib?
C

Local Landmark?
No

Year


Local Landmark Eligible?
Potentially Eligible

Criteria
A, H

NR District Contrib/Non-Contrib
C

Within District?
No

NR Landmark?
No

Year


NR Eligible?
No

Criteria


Alternate Address?


Category
Building

Condition
Good

Integrity
Moderate alterations

Current Use
Education - school

Historic Use
Education - school

Secondary Structure


NR Second


Architectural Classification
Colonial Revival

Details


Other Year
2013

Date source
Illinois Digital Archives/Assessor

Wall Material (Current)
Brick

Wall Material 2 (Current)


Plan
Rectangular

No of Stories
2.5

Roof Type
Combination

Roof Material
Asphalt - shingle

Foundation
Parged

Porch
Front entry

Window Material
Aluminum/vinyl

Window Material 2


Window Type
Double Hung

Window Configuration
8/12

Significance
Built in 1939, this Colonial-Revival-style school building replaced the original Central School built in 1886. Although the building was slightly altered when converted to apartments in 2013, it still retains many of its historic elements, including roofline, cornice, fenestration patterns, and center entry with classical portico.

Historic Features
U-shaped massing and multi-gable roofline; parapeted gable at west facade; symmetrical front facade with regular fenestration; center entry protected by classical porch; cupola

Alterations
Replacement windows in original openings;balconies added to east facade and east and west facades of north wings; sliding doors with transoms in enlarged window openings at these balconies

Old Address (city dir.year


Building Moved?


Moved From


Original Owner


Original Architect


Architect Source


Builder


Surveyor
LR

Surveyor Organization
Ramsey Historic Consultants

Survey Date
May-June 2016

Survey Area
Downtown Libertyville

Old Address


Date of Construction


Moving Permit #


Date Moved


Building Permit #


Date


Building Permit Description


Cost


Original Owner Occupied?


Exterior Alteration Permits


Other Permit Information


COA Info


Historic Info
From Illinois Digital Archives (info from Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and Cook Memorial Public Library): "Located on School Street, Central School was originally built in 1886. Beginning in 1898 high school classes met on the second floor until they met in their own building on Brainerd and Park Avenues in 1917. The original Central School was razed in the summer of 1939 , replaced by the new school pictured here."

Other Sources
Historic photograph of 1939 school building at Illinois Digital Archives (in collection of the Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and Cook Memorial Public Library):

http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/1295/rec/9

Sanborn Maps: 1948 (Sheet 3)

Historic Info Compiler
LR

Volunteer