219 W. Maple Avenue


Liberytville, IL 60048
Date of Construction: 1928
Architectural Classification: Colonial Revival
Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville

Building name
First Presbyterian Church

Ground Floor Use
Church

Upper Floor Use
Church

Current Occupant


Zoning
I-B

Number of Stories
2

Property Index Number
1116300138

Within Local District?
No

Local Dist Contrib/Non-Contrib?
NC

Local Landmark?
No

Year


Local Landmark Eligible?
No

Criteria


NR District Contrib/Non-Contrib
NC

Within District?
No

NR Landmark?
No

Year


NR Eligible?
No

Criteria


Alternate Address?


Category
Building

Condition
Good

Integrity
Major alterations and/or additions

Current Use
Religion - religious facility

Historic Use
Religion - religious facility

Secondary Structure


NR Second


Architectural Classification
Colonial Revival

Details


Other Year
1961; 1985

Date source
Illinois Digital Archives; Permits

Wall Material (Current)
Brick

Wall Material 2 (Current)


Plan
Irregular

No of Stories
2

Roof Type
Combination

Roof Material


Foundation
Not visible

Porch


Window Material
Wood

Window Material 2
Clad Wood

Window Type
Combination

Window Configuration


Significance


Historic Features
Original church building at northwest corner of lot--east end of front (north) facade features full-height pilasters and triangular pediment; three front entries with classical surrounds; 2-story west secondary entrance bay with triangular pediment; historic wood windows; office wing with flat roof and wood cornice

Alterations
2-story educational building addition at east end of original building (1961); 2-story addition south of original church building (larger than original building and 1961 addition combined), with new sanctuary and offices--addition features a new main entrance with front portico and steeple along Douglas Avenue

Old Address (city dir.year


Building Moved?


Moved From


Original Owner


Original Architect


Architect Source


Builder


Surveyor
LR

Surveyor Organization
Ramsey Historic Consultants

Survey Date
May-June 2016

Survey Area
Downtown Libertyville

Old Address


Date of Construction


Moving Permit #


Date Moved


Building Permit #


Date


Building Permit Description


Cost


Original Owner Occupied?


Exterior Alteration Permits
#2782 (11/15/1960)--educational building addition; No permit # (12/17/1992)--aluminum soffit and fascia; 85-86 (4/9/1985)--new sanctuary, offices, classrooms, and kitchen ($1,700,000.00)

Other Permit Information
#86-314 (7/14/1986)--storage shed

COA Info
From Illinois Digital Archives (info from Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and Cook Memorial Public Library)--"This church was organized in 1886. The first building was on East Church Street on land that had belonged to Horace Butler. The first pastor was Reverend George P. Folsom. In 1825, the congregation bought a lot at the corner of Douglas Street and Maple Avenue. The building erected thereon was dedicated in 1928 and is shown in this photograph. Over the years the building was added to and in 1955 the adjoining property was purchased. An education building was erected and dedicated in 1961."

Historic Info
Historic photograph of church on Illinois Digital Archives (in collection of Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and Cook Memorial Public Library)--http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/2095/rec/12

Other Sources
Sanborn Maps--1924, 1933, 1948

Historic Info Compiler
LR

Volunteer