101 Park Place


Liberytville, IL 60048
Date of Construction: 1900 (c)
Architectural Classification: Neo-Colonial
Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville

Building name


Ground Floor Use
Funeral Home

Upper Floor Use
Funeral Home

Current Occupant
McMurrough Funeral Chapel

Zoning
C-2

Number of Stories
2

Property Index Number
1121202012

Within Local District?
No

Local Dist Contrib/Non-Contrib?
C

Local Landmark?
No

Year


Local Landmark Eligible?
No

Criteria


NR District Contrib/Non-Contrib
C

Within District?
No

NR Landmark?
No

Year


NR Eligible?
No

Criteria


Alternate Address?


Category
Building

Condition
Good

Integrity
Major alterations and additions (historic)

Current Use
Funerary - mortuary

Historic Use
Domestic - single dwelling

Secondary Structure


NR Second


Architectural Classification
Neo-Colonial

Details


Other Year
1950s

Date source
Surveyor/

Wall Material (Current)
Aluminum/vinyl

Wall Material 2 (Current)
Aluminum/vinyl

Plan
Irregular

No of Stories
2

Roof Type
Front Gable

Roof Material
Asphalt - shingle

Foundation
Not visible

Porch
Full Front

Window Material
Wood

Window Material 2


Window Type
Double hung & other

Window Configuration
12/12; 1/1

Significance


Historic Features
Some original windows visible along south elevation

Alterations
East facade expanded and reconfigured into a Neo-Colonial design, with full-height front portico and symmetrical fenestration; replacement windows throughout original house; 1-story west addition stretching nearly to the west end of the lot, with secondary entrance facing south onto Park Avenue

Old Address (city dir.year


Building Moved?


Moved From


Original Owner


Original Architect


Architect Source


Builder


Surveyor
LR

Surveyor Organization
Ramsey Historic Consultants

Survey Date
May-June 2016

Survey Area
Downtown Libertyville

Old Address


Date of Construction


Moving Permit #


Date Moved


Building Permit #


Date


Building Permit Description


Cost


Original Owner Occupied?


Exterior Alteration Permits


Other Permit Information


COA Info


Historic Info
According to the company website, "In 1947, Bernice and John "Jack" McMurrough purchased the then Osborne Funeral Home at our current location. Osborne's promotional material denoting the company as "Furniture and Undertaking." Jack also operated an emergency ambulance service along with the funeral home, this was long before the village had its own ambulance service. In the 1950's they expanded the funeral home to include the current main chapel expanding the facility to over twice its size."(http://libertyvillefuneralhome.com/109/Our_Family.html)

Historic photograph of house before alterations (from the early 1950s) at Illinois Digital Archives (in collection of the Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and Cook Memorial Public Library)--

http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/2054/rec/2

Historic photograph of House on page

Other Sources
Sanborn Maps--1924, 1933, 1948

Historic Info Compiler
LR

Volunteer