120-132 W. Park Avenue


Libertyville, IL 60048
Date of Construction: 1891
Architectural Classification: Queen Anne (altered)
Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville

Building name
Parkhurst, E. W. House (Ray-Burnett Funeral Home)

Ground Floor Use
Funeral Home

Upper Floor Use
Funeral Home

Current Occupant
Burnett Dane Funeral Home

Zoning
C-2

Number of Stories
1

Property Index Number
1121201005

Within Local District?
No

Local Dist Contrib/Non-Contrib?
NC

Local Landmark?
No

Year


Local Landmark Eligible?
No

Criteria


NR District Contrib/Non-Contrib
NC

Within District?
No

NR Landmark?
No

Year


NR Eligible?
No

Criteria


Alternate Address?


Category
Building

Condition
Good

Integrity
Major alterations and additions

Current Use
Funerary--mortuary

Historic Use
Domestic - single dwelling

Secondary Structure
Detached garage

NR Second
NC

Architectural Classification
Queen Anne (altered)

Details


Other Year


Date source
Illinois Digital Archives

Wall Material (Current)
Aluminum/vinyl

Wall Material 2 (Current)
Brick & concrete block

Plan
Irregular

No of Stories
2.5 & 1

Roof Type
Combination

Roof Material
Asphalt - shingle

Foundation
Not visible

Porch
Front entry

Window Material
Wood

Window Material 2


Window Type
Double hung & other

Window Configuration
1/1; 2/2 horizontal; 1-light

Significance


Historic Features
Original Queen Anne house surrounded by additions dating from the 1970s--original roof line, west side polygonal tower, and 2nd-story elevations still extant

Alterations
Aluminum siding on original house (1986); replacement windows in original openings; awnings over window openings on original house; multiple 1-story additions surrounding original structure along south, east, and west sides (1971)

Old Address (city dir.year


Building Moved?


Moved From


Original Owner
Parkhurst, E. W.

Original Architect


Architect Source


Builder


Surveyor
LR

Surveyor Organization
Ramsey Historic Consultants

Survey Date
May-June 2016

Survey Area
Downtown Libertyville

Old Address


Date of Construction


Moving Permit #


Date Moved


Building Permit #


Date


Building Permit Description


Cost


Original Owner Occupied?


Exterior Alteration Permits
86-200 (5/19/1986)--aluminum siding and trim; 6494 (9/16/1971)--addition to building to include new lobby, two chapels, garage, wall, and stair to existing 2nd floor (brick exterior walls); 2437 (7/20/1959)--addition and alterations to existing funeral home plus new garage; #293 (4/15/1952)--build chapel in front of present funeral home

Other Permit Information


COA Info


Historic Info
From Illinois Digital Archives (information provided by Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and Cook Memorial Public Library): "Paul G. Ray went into the funeral home business in 1912 along the west side of Milwaukee Avenue. The business was known as the Ray Funeral Home. As the business grew, Ray bought the Victorian house which E. W. Parkhurst had built in 1891 at 120 W. Park Avenue and in 1937 he moved his funeral home to that site, shown here. Mr. Burnett was assisted in the funeral business by his son-in-law Kenneth Burnett and the name of the business was changed to Ray-Burnett. After Ray's death in 1963 the name was changed to Burnett Funeral Home."

http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/2116/rec/12

Other Sources
Sanborn Maps--1924 (Sheet 9); 1933 (Sheet 5); 1948 (Sheet 5)

Historic photograph on page 31 of LIBERTYVILLE ILLUSTRATED

Historic Info Compiler
LR

Volunteer