336 N. Milwaukee Avenue


Libertyville, IL 60048
Date of Construction: 1945 (c)
Architectural Classification: One Part Commercial Block
Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville

Building name


Ground Floor Use
Commercial

Upper Floor Use
N/A

Current Occupant
French Nails (336)

Zoning
C-1

Number of Stories
1

Property Index Number


Within Local District?
No

Local Dist Contrib/Non-Contrib?
C

Local Landmark?
No

Year


Local Landmark Eligible?
No

Criteria


NR District Contrib/Non-Contrib
C

Within District?
No

NR Landmark?
No

Year


NR Eligible?
No

Criteria


Alternate Address?


Category
Building

Condition
Good

Integrity
Minor alterations

Current Use
Commerce/Trade

Historic Use
Commerce/Trade

Secondary Structure


NR Second


Architectural Classification
One Part Commercial Block

Details


Other Year


Date source
Surveyor/Sanborn Maps

Wall Material (Current)
Brick

Wall Material 2 (Current)
Concrete block

Plan
Rectangular

No of Stories
1

Roof Type
Flat

Roof Material
Not Visible

Foundation
Concrete

Porch


Window Material
Aluminum/vinyl

Window Material 2


Window Type
Storefront

Window Configuration
1-light

Significance


Historic Features
Red face brick facade; flush storefront windows and entries

Alterations
Replacement storefront windows and doors; signage

Old Address (city dir.year


Building Moved?


Moved From


Original Owner


Original Architect


Architect Source


Builder


Surveyor
LR

Surveyor Organization
Ramsey Historic Consultants

Survey Date
May-June 2016

Survey Area
Downtown Libertyville

Old Address


Date of Construction


Moving Permit #


Date Moved


Building Permit #


Date


Building Permit Description


Cost


Original Owner Occupied?


Exterior Alteration Permits


Other Permit Information


COA Info


Historic Info
from LIBERTYVILLE: THEN AND NOW (p. 52)--"Scottie's was located in front of the Cardinal Bus Lines stop near Broadway and Milwaukee Avenue, which was a spot that provided some added business for the restaurant. In the 1950s, Scottie's advertised home-cooked specials, including "country style chicken" and "club steaks." Huffman's, a milk and grocery store, was established by Edwin Huffman and later managed by his son-in-law Ed Young. The store also provided home delivery for Hawthorn Mellody Farm products. A wine shop and nail salon take their place today."

Other Sources
Sanborn Maps--1948. Historic photo on Illinois Digital Archives (in collection of Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and Cook Memorial Public Library)--http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/1229/rec/1

Historic Info Compiler
LR

Volunteer