413 N. Milwaukee Avenue


Liberytville, IL 60048
Date of Construction: 1878
Architectural Classification: Queen Anne/Neo-Classical
Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville

Building name
Cook, Ansel B. House/Cook Memorial Library

Ground Floor Use
Education - library

Upper Floor Use
Education - library

Current Occupant
Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society

Zoning


Number of Stories


Property Index Number


Within Local District?
No

Local Dist Contrib/Non-Contrib?
C

Local Landmark?
Yes

Year
2016

Local Landmark Eligible?
N/A

Criteria


NR District Contrib/Non-Contrib
C

Within District?
No

NR Landmark?
Yes

Year
2001

NR Eligible?
N/A

Criteria


Alternate Address?


Category
Building

Condition
Good

Integrity
Historic alterations

Current Use
Education - library

Historic Use
Domestic - single dwelling

Secondary Structure


NR Second


Architectural Classification
Queen Anne/Neo-Classical

Details


Other Year
1921

Date source
National Register Nomination

Wall Material (Current)
Stucco

Wall Material 2 (Current)


Plan
Rectangular

No of Stories
2.5

Roof Type
Hipped

Roof Material
Wood - shingle

Foundation
Stone

Porch
Full Front

Window Material
Wood

Window Material 2


Window Type
Double Hung

Window Configuration
1/1

Significance
Originally built for Ansel B. Cook, the late 19th-century residence was converted into a public library in 1921. The original Queen Anne design was altered at that time. The house is a visual landmark within the Village of Libertyville, and is both a designated local landmark and individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Historic Features
Steep hipped roof with multiple brick chimneys; projecting front gable dormers; three-sided south bay with mutli-sided roof; historic wood double hung windows; wood windows surrounds with corner blocks; dentil cornice with rosette frieze

Alterations
House remodeled in 1921--stucco cladding, full-height front portico with round columns

Non-historic alterations include: 1-story rear connector built to attach building to new library built in 1968; south side handicap ramp; concrete porch base with wrought iron railings; skylight; replacement door at south side/rear entrance

Old Address (city dir.year


Building Moved?


Moved From


Original Owner
Cook, Ansel B.

Original Architect
Boyington, William T. (attributed)

Architect Source
National Register Nomination

Builder


Surveyor
LR

Surveyor Organization
Ramsey Historic Consultants

Survey Date
May-June 2016

Survey Area
Downtown Libertyville

Old Address


Date of Construction


Moving Permit #


Date Moved


Building Permit #


Date


Building Permit Description


Cost


Original Owner Occupied?


Exterior Alteration Permits
No permit # (4/15/1998)--restoration of exterior (restore/rebuild porch, chimneys and stucco; repair rotted wood, add security system); 82-259 (11/8/1982)--replace column shafts on and bases on front porch

Other Permit Information


COA Info


Historic Info
History accompanying historic photograph of building on Illinois Digital Archives (photograph and information provided by Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and Cook Memorial Public Library): "The Cook Memorial Library is located at 413 N. Milwaukee Avenue. A history of the library, written in 1996 for the 75th anniversary of the library, reads as follows: "Library service started locally in 1909 when the Alpha Club (now the Libertyville Woman's Club) began a subscription library in the Decker and Bond drugstore in downtown Libertyville. The Ansel B. Cook home and property was left to the village for library and park purposes in 1921 and served as the library's home until 1968 when a new building was completed. The Libertyville Township Library Board was organized in 1924 to operate Cook Memorial Library. In 1967, the library joined the North Suburban library system, thus offering its patrons expanded services. The township library board was dissolved in 1973 with the formation of the Cook Memorial Public Library district. Besides the village of Libertyville, the district now includes Vernon Hills, Indian Creek, Mettawa, Green Oaks and parts of Mundelein." -taken from the 75th anniversary publication of the Cook Memorial Library"

http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/1247/rec/2

Complete history of the house can be found in the National Register Nomination for the property, as well as on the Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society website:

http://www.lmhistory.org/cookhouse.html#top

Other Sources
Sanborn Maps--1924 (Sheets 2 & 3); 1933 (Sheet 2); 1948 (Sheet 2)

Historic Info Compiler
LR

Volunteer