125 W. Church Street


Libertyville, IL 60048
Date of Construction: 1917
Architectural Classification: Gothic Revival
Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville

Building name
St. Lawrence Episcopal Church

Ground Floor Use
Church

Upper Floor Use
Church

Current Occupant
St. Lawrence Episcopal Church

Zoning
I-B

Number of Stories
2

Property Index Number
1116300097; 1116300096

Within Local District?
No

Local Dist Contrib/Non-Contrib?
C

Local Landmark?
No

Year


Local Landmark Eligible?
No

Criteria


NR District Contrib/Non-Contrib
C

Within District?
No

NR Landmark?
No

Year


NR Eligible?
No

Criteria


Alternate Address?


Category
Building

Condition
Good

Integrity
Additions

Current Use
Religion - religious facility

Historic Use
Religion - religious facility

Secondary Structure


NR Second


Architectural Classification
Gothic Revival

Details


Other Year


Date source
Church website; Illinois Digital Archives

Wall Material (Current)
Brick

Wall Material 2 (Current)


Plan
Irregular

No of Stories
1.5

Roof Type
Multi-gable

Roof Material
Asphalt - shingle

Foundation
Not visible

Porch


Window Material
Wood

Window Material 2
Aluminum/vinyl

Window Type
Fixed & pivot

Window Configuration
Multi-light

Significance


Historic Features
Sanctuary section of building features a broad, parapeted front gable roof; nested gable entry bay with double wood plank doors; side of sanctuary features decorative brick buttresses; multi-light pointed arch stained glass windows at original building

Alterations
1-story addition behind sanctuary and original educational wing (1963-4); large 1.5-story east and north addition (2003)

Old Address (city dir.year


Building Moved?


Moved From


Original Owner
St. Lawrence Episcopal Church

Original Architect


Architect Source


Builder


Surveyor
LR

Surveyor Organization
Ramsey Historic Consultants

Survey Date
May-June 2016

Survey Area
Downtown Libertyville

Old Address


Date of Construction


Moving Permit #


Date Moved


Building Permit #


Date


Building Permit Description


Cost


Original Owner Occupied?


Exterior Alteration Permits


Other Permit Information


COA Info


Historic Info
From Illinois Digital Archives (information provided by the Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and Cook Memorial Public Library): "This brick building on west Church Street was built in 1917 after the original wooden structure (the Union Church) was destroyed by fire earlier in the year. St. Lawrence Episcopal Church was founded in 1908. The congregation began meeting in the Union Church in 1910 and they purchased the building in 1912."

Other Sources
Historic photographs of exterior and interior of building from c. 1917 and the 1950s on Illinois Digital Archives

Historic Info Compiler
LR

Volunteer