Illinois Bell Telephone Company Building
Ground Floor Use
Upper Floor Use
Number of Stories
Property Index Number
1116414003; 1116414014; 1116414015; 1116414017
Within Local District?
Local Dist Contrib/Non-Contrib?
Local Landmark Eligible?
NR District Contrib/Non-Contrib
Minor alterations and additions
Illinois Digital Archives/Permits
Wall Material (Current)
Wall Material 2 (Current)
No of Stories
Window Material 2
Building may be eligible for local landmark designation for its associations with the history and development of communications in the Village of Libertyville. The building replaced an earlier office erected at the same location in 1923.
Red brick exterior; ribbon windows connected with horizontal concrete surrounds; main entrance at ground level set within a slightly projecting overhang capped with concrete, with a row of casement windows stretching beside the doorway within a concrete-clad wall.
Two story rear additions (1956 and 1968); front window east of entry bricked in
Old Address (city dir.year
Ramsey Historic Consultants
Date of Construction
Moving Permit #
Building Permit #
Building Permit Description
Original Owner Occupied?
Exterior Alteration Permits
1445 (5/16/1956)--2nd story addition; JCR-11-0034 (2011)--replace door and walk; 4478 (3/25/1968)--2-story masonry addition
Other Permit Information
Historic photograph and information on building at Illinois Digital Archives (in collection of Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and Cook Memorial Public Library):
"On November 30, 1943, ground was broken for the Illinois Bell Building pictured here at 117 East Church Street. Completion of this office building the following year allowed for expanded and modernized services, including conversion to dial service by the end of the decade. Growth continued in the 1950s, necessitating an addition to the original building in 1956. That year there were 164 Illinois Bell Employees working in Libertyville. Historical Note: Telephone service first came to Libertyville in 1897, when F. B. Lovell and Fletcher Clark formed the Lake County Telephone Company. Lovell used the back room of his drug store as the central office, where there was one operator."
Sanborn Maps: 1948 (Sheet 5)
Historic Info Compiler