122 E. Church Street


Libertyville, IL 60048
Date of Construction: 1925
Architectural Classification: Two Part Commercial Block
Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville

Building name


Ground Floor Use
Commercial, Residential

Upper Floor Use
Residential

Current Occupant
Residential

Zoning
C-1

Number of Stories
2

Property Index Number
1116411016

Within Local District?
No

Local Dist Contrib/Non-Contrib?
C

Local Landmark?
No

Year


Local Landmark Eligible?
No

Criteria


NR District Contrib/Non-Contrib
C

Within District?
No

NR Landmark?
No

Year


NR Eligible?
No

Criteria


Alternate Address?


Category


Condition
Good

Integrity
Minor alterations and additions

Current Use
Commerce/Trade; Domestic - multiple dwelling

Historic Use
Commerce/Trade; Domestic - multiple dwelling

Secondary Structure


NR Second


Architectural Classification
Two Part Commercial Block

Details


Other Year


Date source
INDEPENDENT REGISTER, 12/9/1943 p. 1

Wall Material (Current)
Stucco

Wall Material 2 (Current)


Plan
Rectangular

No of Stories
2

Roof Type
Flat

Roof Material
Not Visible

Foundation
Parged

Porch


Window Material
Wood

Window Material 2
Aluminum/vinyl

Window Type
Double hung & storefront

Window Configuration
1/1; 1-light

Significance


Historic Features
Flat roof and rectangular massing; storefront configuration with windows flanking center entry likely not original, but may be historic (between 1933 and 1948)

Alterations
Replacement double hung windows in original openings; replacement storefront window and door; 2-story rear addition (between 1933 and 1948); replacement stoop (2014); 2-story porch addition

Old Address (city dir.year


Building Moved?


Moved From


Original Owner


Original Architect


Architect Source


Builder


Surveyor
LR

Surveyor Organization
Ramsey Historic Consultants

Survey Date
May-June 2016

Survey Area
Downtown Libertyville

Old Address


Date of Construction


Moving Permit #


Date Moved


Building Permit #


Date


Building Permit Description


Cost


Original Owner Occupied?


Exterior Alteration Permits
No permit Number (4/20/2014)--replacement of brick stoop with concrete

Other Permit Information


COA Info


Historic Info
INDEPENDENT REGISTER, 12.9.1943 p. 1---Building was purchased by Mr. and Mrs Ray Bellendorf in 1943. Was originally built in 1925 by Dr. F. H. Martin.

From Illinois Digital Archives (collection of the Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society): "This beauty salon opened in 1951 at 229 East Park Avenue and moved to 122 East Church Street some time later. The Church Street location pictured here featured the salon on the first floor and an apartment on the second floor. Charlotte's Beauty Salon boasted of five operators offering "complete beauty service" including hair cuts, permanent waves, hair styling, tinting and bleaching, and all with the added benefit of air conditioning."

Other Sources


Historic Info Compiler
LR

Volunteer