118 W. Cook Avenue


Libertyville, IL 60048
Date of Construction: 1948
Architectural Classification: Colonial Revival
Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville

Building name
Village Fire Department

Ground Floor Use
Municipal

Upper Floor Use
Municipal

Current Occupant
Village Hall

Zoning
C-1

Number of Stories
2

Property Index Number
1116305012; 1116305013

Within Local District?
No

Local Dist Contrib/Non-Contrib?
C

Local Landmark?
No

Year


Local Landmark Eligible?
No

Criteria


NR District Contrib/Non-Contrib
C

Within District?
No

NR Landmark?
No

Year


NR Eligible?
No

Criteria


Alternate Address?


Category
Building

Condition
Good

Integrity
Moderate alterations and additions

Current Use
Government - city hall

Historic Use
Government - city hall

Secondary Structure


NR Second


Architectural Classification
Colonial Revival

Details


Other Year
1970; 1994; 2001

Date source
Illinois Digital Archives; permits

Wall Material (Current)
Brick

Wall Material 2 (Current)
Aluminum/vinyl

Plan
Irregular

No of Stories
2

Roof Type
Multi-gable

Roof Material
Asphalt - shingle

Foundation
Concrete

Porch


Window Material


Window Material 2
Aluminum/vinyl

Window Type
Double Hung

Window Configuration
8/8; 12/12

Significance


Historic Features
Front-gable, south-facing bay, and east square tower are part of original building

Alterations
Building expanded and remodeled when building became the Village Hall in 1993-4--front (south) garage bays filled in with windows; 1-story entry bay addition at southeast corner; clock face added to tower (2001); replacement windows on all facades, most in original openings, some in altered openings (see 1993 architectural drawings)

Old Address (city dir.year


Building Moved?


Moved From


Original Owner


Original Architect


Architect Source


Builder


Surveyor
LR

Surveyor Organization
Ramsey Historic Consultants

Survey Date
May-June 2016

Survey Area
Downtown Libertyville

Old Address


Date of Construction


Moving Permit #


Date Moved


Building Permit #


Date


Building Permit Description


Cost


Original Owner Occupied?


Exterior Alteration Permits
JCM-01-0032 (11/20/2001)--clock tower; architectural plans for changes to building as part of conversion to City Hall (3/1/1993)

Other Permit Information


COA Info


Historic Info
from Illinois Digital Archives (information provided by the Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and the Cook Memorial Public Library)--"Street view of West Cook Street looking east toward Milwaukee Ave with the village hall on the left. Built in 1913, Libertyville's original village hall was located on West Cook Street. According to local historian Dean Larson, the village hall housed the fire station, jail, meeting rooms and the Alpha Club Library (the forerunner of Cook Memorial Library) in addition to the village offices. When the village moved its offices to the new Schertz Municipal Building on East Cook Street in 1970, the old village hall was almost completely demolished and a new fire station was constructed at the site. In 1994 the village returned to its roots and moved back to its original site after remodeling the fire station into a new village hall."

Other Sources
Sanborn Maps (1948); Historic photos of building on Illinois Digital Archives

Historic Info Compiler
LR

Volunteer