120 E. Cook Avenue


Libertyville, IL 60048
Date of Construction: pre-1897
Architectural Classification: One Part Commercial Block
Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville

Building name


Ground Floor Use
Church

Upper Floor Use
N/A

Current Occupant
Christian Science Reading Room

Zoning
C-1

Number of Stories
1

Property Index Number
1116405065

Within Local District?
No

Local Dist Contrib/Non-Contrib?
C

Local Landmark?
No

Year


Local Landmark Eligible?
No

Criteria


NR District Contrib/Non-Contrib
C

Within District?
No

NR Landmark?
No

Year


NR Eligible?
No

Criteria


Alternate Address?


Category
Building

Condition
Good

Integrity
Moderate alterations and additions

Current Use
Religion

Historic Use
Commerce/Trade

Secondary Structure


NR Second


Architectural Classification
One Part Commercial Block

Details


Other Year
1950; 1995

Date source
Sanborn map; permits

Wall Material (Current)
Brick

Wall Material 2 (Current)


Plan
Rectangular

No of Stories
1

Roof Type
Flat

Roof Material
Not Visible

Foundation
Not visible

Porch


Window Material
Wood

Window Material 2


Window Type
fixed

Window Configuration
1-light

Significance


Historic Features
Flat roof; rectangular massing

Alterations
Front window and door configuration appears to date from the 1950s; later alterations include fypon trim around existing window and door, fypon cornice; sign

Old Address (city dir.year


Building Moved?


Moved From


Original Owner


Original Architect


Architect Source


Builder


Surveyor
LR

Surveyor Organization
Ramsey Historic Consultants

Survey Date
May-June 2016

Survey Area
Downtown Libertyville

Old Address


Date of Construction


Moving Permit #


Date Moved


Building Permit #


Date


Building Permit Description


Cost


Original Owner Occupied?


Exterior Alteration Permits
2153 (6/21/1950)--remodel and rear addition; JRR-08-0112 (12/10/2008)--replace windows; 83-152 (6/1/1983)--new facade and sign for First Church of Christ, Scientist; Application for Certificate of Approval Appearance REview Commission (7/20/1994)--new sign; painted brick; fypon trim around existing front window and door; fypon parapet covering

Other Permit Information


COA Info


Historic Info
From Illinois Digital Archives (provided by Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and Cook Memorial Public Library)--"The Village Pantry, a small restaurant on east Cook Street, advertised home cooking and take-out orders. They served breakfast and plate lunches and their specialties included home made pies and soups. They served spaghetti every Wednesday. One of their ads boasted "We seat 1500 people-15 at a time."

Other Sources
Sanborn Maps (1897-1948); Historic photo of building from the 1950s on Illinois Digital Archives site--http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/2056/rec/1

Historic Info Compiler
LR

Volunteer