400-404 N. Milwaukee Avenue


Libertyville, IL 60048
Date of Construction: 1956
Architectural Classification: One Part Commercial Block
Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville

Building name


Ground Floor Use
Commercial

Upper Floor Use
N/A

Current Occupant
Murphy's Health Foods (400), Pizzeria Devilee (404)

Zoning
C-1

Number of Stories
1

Property Index Number
400 (1116411011)

Within Local District?
No

Local Dist Contrib/Non-Contrib?
C

Local Landmark?
No

Year


Local Landmark Eligible?
No

Criteria


NR District Contrib/Non-Contrib
C

Within District?
No

NR Landmark?
No

Year


NR Eligible?
No

Criteria


Alternate Address?


Category
Building

Condition
Good

Integrity
Minor alterations

Current Use
Commerce/Trade

Historic Use
Commerce/Trade

Secondary Structure


NR Second


Architectural Classification
One Part Commercial Block

Details


Other Year


Date source
Permit

Wall Material (Current)
Brick

Wall Material 2 (Current)


Plan


No of Stories
1

Roof Type
Flat

Roof Material
Not Visible

Foundation
Not visible

Porch


Window Material
Metal

Window Material 2


Window Type
Storefront

Window Configuration
1-light

Significance


Historic Features
Red face brick exterior; south end corner storefront with original windows and stacked brick bulkhead

Alterations
Signage; replacement windows and doors in north storefront

Old Address (city dir.year


Building Moved?


Moved From


Original Owner
First National Bank of Lake Forest Trustee

Original Architect
Tideman, Henry

Architect Source
Permit

Builder
Hansen & Werhane

Surveyor
LR

Surveyor Organization
Ramsey Historic Consultants

Survey Date
May-June 2016

Survey Area
Downtown Libertyville

Old Address


Date of Construction


Moving Permit #


Date Moved


Building Permit #
1431

Date
5/7/1956

Building Permit Description
Concrete and brick one-story store

Cost
$52,600.00

Original Owner Occupied?


Exterior Alteration Permits
92-593 (7/23/1992)--alterations

Other Permit Information


COA Info


Historic Info
From Illinois Digital Archives (info provided by Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and Cook Memorial Public Library)--Julian Redman opened this store at 404 North Milwaukee in the mid-1950s. He advertised as "Home of Famous Brands." Redman remained in business there until the mid-1960s at which time he moved the store to 1161 South Milwaukee Avenue. He was still in business into the 1990s. Jay's Shoes stood next door to the south at the northeast corner of Cook Street and Milwaukee Avenue where they billed themselves as "The Store of Famous Brands." They sold Stride Rite shoes for youngsters; women's brands included Cobbies, Penobscot Trampeze, American Girl, and "Nunn-Bush ankle fashioned Oxfords." They also sold shoe for men. Jay's stayed in business into the mid-1960s

Other Sources
Sanborn Maps--1948. Historic photo on Illinois Digital Archives (in collection of Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and Cook Memorial Public Library)--http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/2036/rec/2

Historic Info Compiler
LR

Volunteer