426 N. Milwaukee Avenue


Libertyville, IL 60048
Date of Construction: 1956
Architectural Classification: One Part Commercial Block
Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville

Building name
Petranek Pharmacy

Ground Floor Use
Commercial

Upper Floor Use
N/A

Current Occupant
Petranek Pharmacy

Zoning
C-1

Number of Stories
1

Property Index Number
1116400026

Within Local District?
No

Local Dist Contrib/Non-Contrib?
NC

Local Landmark?
No

Year


Local Landmark Eligible?
No

Criteria


NR District Contrib/Non-Contrib
NC

Within District?
No

NR Landmark?
No

Year


NR Eligible?
No

Criteria


Alternate Address?


Category
Building

Condition
Good

Integrity
Major alterations

Current Use
Commerce/Trade

Historic Use
Commerce/Trade

Secondary Structure


NR Second


Architectural Classification
One Part Commercial Block

Details


Other Year
1993

Date source
Permits

Wall Material (Current)
Brick

Wall Material 2 (Current)


Plan
Rectangular

No of Stories
1

Roof Type
Flat

Roof Material
Asphalt - shingle

Foundation
Not visible

Porch


Window Material
Metal

Window Material 2


Window Type
Storefront

Window Configuration
1-light

Significance


Historic Features
Curving storefront with stone bulkhead and metal storefront windows

Alterations
Much of front facade covered with dryvit, parapet wall rebuilt with center gable (1993); signage

Old Address (city dir.year


Building Moved?


Moved From


Original Owner


Original Architect
Dart, Edward D.

Architect Source
Permit

Builder
Pickus Construction

Surveyor
LR

Surveyor Organization
Ramsey Historic Consultants

Survey Date
May-June 2016

Survey Area
Downtown Libertyville

Old Address


Date of Construction


Moving Permit #


Date Moved


Building Permit #
1089

Date
3/17/1955

Building Permit Description
Brick one story business

Cost
$50,000.00

Original Owner Occupied?


Exterior Alteration Permits
93-526 (9/17/1993)--new exterior dryvit facade with peaked parapet wall

Other Permit Information


COA Info


Historic Info
From Illinois Digital Archives (info provided by the Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and Cook Memorial Public Library)--"Petranek's Pharmacy was located at 426 North Milwaukee Avenue near the southeast corner of East Cook Street and North Milwaukee Avenue. It was a successor to the historic Lovell's Pharmacy, owned by Kenneth Lovell, which opened for business at that site in 1876. Over the years, several people ran the pharmacy business. J. Swann took over in 1896; the pharmacy changed to Miller Drugs in 1946. Louis J. Petranek (Lou) took over in the late 1940s and the business became Petranek's in 1950. A fire in 1954 did $125,000 worth of damage to the building, destroying the Lovell building. For a period of two years or so, Petranek's operated at 519 North Milwaukee Avenue while the building in the photograph was erected. Petranek's reopened at 426 North Milwaukee Avenue in 1956. Lou Petranek left in 1960. A series of owners took over, keeping the name Petranek's and operating as the only independent pharmacy in the area. Also pictured in this photograph are Mooney's Fur Shop (428 N. Milwaukee Ave.), Enevold Realty Company (430 N. Milwaukee Ave.), and Morrison Shoes (432 N. Milwaukee Ave.)."

Other Sources
Sanborn Maps--1948 (Sheet 2)

Historic photos from the 1950s and 1970s on Illinois Digital Archives (in collection of the Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and Cook Memorial Public Library)--

http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/2031/rec/2

http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/6641/rec/3

Historic Info Compiler
LR

Volunteer