Triggs Mercantile/Triggs & Taylor Grocery
Ground Floor Use
Upper Floor Use
Equityone Development (428), Steve's Formal Wear (430), IDEA Design/Build (432)
Number of Stories
Property Index Number
1116411001 - 1116400025 (430)
Within Local District?
Local Dist Contrib/Non-Contrib?
Local Landmark Eligible?
NR District Contrib/Non-Contrib
Two Part Commercial Block
Sanborn Map (1897); Cook Memorial Library Local History Collection--Triggs & Taylor folder
Wall Material (Current)
Wall Material 2 (Current)
No of Stories
Window Material 2
Double hung & storefront
This Queen Anne commercial block may be a candidate for local landmark designation. The brick detailing and elaborately ornamented corner tower are notable features.
Red face brick on west and north facades; buff brick ornament around 2nd story windows and on wall under cornice on west facade; Elaborate metal cornice with swag ornament; polygonal northwest corner tower with stamped metal ornament and peaked roof; rustic continuous stone lintels and sills at 2nd story windows; although storefront is not historic, its configuration is historically appropriate (see photo from LIBERTYVILLE ILLUSTRATED, p. 31)
Replacement windows in original openings on 2nd story; non-historic storefront materials (1993); replacement 2nd story window; storefront and first-story windows on north facade bricked in
Old Address (city dir.year
Ramsey Historic Consultants
Date of Construction
Moving Permit #
Building Permit #
Building Permit Description
Original Owner Occupied?
Exterior Alteration Permits
93-422 (8/5/1993)--alter front of building ($32,000--architectural plans in permit file indicate that the alterations were to storefront level only)
Other Permit Information
Building was constructed for Triggs & Taylor after the fire of 1895 destroyed the firm's original building on Milwaukee Avenue. The grocery store was founded by J. Eli Triggs and C. W. Taylor in 1892. Taylor sold his shared to Triggs in 1902, and Triggs retired and sold his shares to his son and Taylor's son Ross in 1914. Ross Taylor sold his shares to A. L. Johnson a few years later. The grocery continued as Triggs and Johnson until 1932. Johnson later sold out of the company, and Triggs continued in the same location until 1942. (https://shelflife.cooklib.org/2015/12/23/triggs-taylor-libertyvilles-hometown-grocier/)
Historic photo of building (from 1950s) on Illinois Digital Archives (in collection of the Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and the Cook Memorial Public Library)--
Historic photo (turn of the 20th century) on page 31 of LIBERTYVILLE ILLUSTRATED.
Sanborn Maps--1897, 1907, 1912, 1924, 1933, 1948
Historic Info Compiler