508 N. Milwaukee Avenue


Libertyville, IL 60048
Date of Construction: 1896
Architectural Classification: Two Part Commercial Block
Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville

Building name
Eger, H. B. Building

Ground Floor Use
Commercial

Upper Floor Use
Unknown

Current Occupant
Townee Square (1986)

Zoning
C-1

Number of Stories
2

Property Index Number


Within Local District?
No

Local Dist Contrib/Non-Contrib?
C

Local Landmark?
No

Year


Local Landmark Eligible?
No

Criteria


NR District Contrib/Non-Contrib
C

Within District?
No

NR Landmark?
No

Year


NR Eligible?
No

Criteria


Alternate Address?


Category
Building

Condition
Good

Integrity
Rehabilitated/Restored

Current Use
Commerce/Trade

Historic Use
Commerce/Trade

Secondary Structure


NR Second


Architectural Classification
Two Part Commercial Block

Details
Queen Anne - Free Classic

Other Year
1963; 1994

Date source
Illinois Digital Archives; permits

Wall Material (Current)
Brick

Wall Material 2 (Current)


Plan
Rectangular

No of Stories
2

Roof Type
Flat

Roof Material
Not Visible

Foundation
Not visible

Porch


Window Material
Aluminum/vinyl

Window Material 2


Window Type
Double hung & storefront

Window Configuration
1/1; 1-light

Significance


Historic Features


Alterations
Building was extensively altered in 1963, with a completely new storefront and an aluminum slipcover over the 2nd floor; the cornice was also removed at that time.

Building facade was rehabilitated in 1993--slipcover removed, cornice re-built, brick restored; replacement windows are in original openings; based on historic photographs, the lintels were also added at this time, and were not original to the building; storefront rebuilt (non-historic configuration)

Old Address (city dir.year


Building Moved?


Moved From


Original Owner
Eger, H. B.

Original Architect


Architect Source


Builder


Surveyor
LR

Surveyor Organization
Ramsey Historic Consultants

Survey Date
May-June 2016

Survey Area
Downtown Libertyville

Old Address


Date of Construction


Moving Permit #


Date Moved


Building Permit #


Date


Building Permit Description


Cost


Original Owner Occupied?


Exterior Alteration Permits
3375 (10.15.1963)--interior and exterior work ($21,400); 94-301 (5/3/1994)--remove metal slipcover and restore facade (add new cornice, second floor windows, storefront, signage)

Other Permit Information


COA Info


Historic Info
From Illinois Digital Archives (info from Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and Cook Memorial Public Library)--"In 1896 H. B. Eger built his hardware store just to the north of Schanck's Hardware Company. Eger sold the business to Ernie Griffis in 1935. Griffis was allied with a company named Ace Hardware and put up the sign shown in this photograph. In 1952, Griffis sold to Paul Hesse. Hesse bought Schanck Hardware in 1963 and combined the two stores as Ace Hardware. In 1965 Hesse moved the business north to Peterson Road and opened there on April 1, 1966.

Other Sources
Historic photographs of building from the 1950s and 1970s on Illinois Digital Archives (from collection of Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and Cook Memorial Public Library)

http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/1950/rec/2 (before slipcover)

http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/6648/rec/1 (1970s)

Historic Info Compiler
LR

Volunteer