Ground Floor Use
Upper Floor Use
Roach, Johnston & Thut (516), Electric Design Source (518), Someone's in the Kitchen (522), Tropik Sun Fruit & Nuts (524),
Number of Stories
Property Index Number
Within Local District?
Local Dist Contrib/Non-Contrib?
Local Landmark Eligible?
NR District Contrib/Non-Contrib
Commerce/Trade; Domestic - hotel
Two Part Commercial Block
National Register Nomination; permits
Wall Material (Current)
Wall Material 2 (Current)
No of Stories
Window Material 2
Double hung & storefront
The Proctor Building, a Queen Anne-style Commercial Block from the early 20th century, is listed individually on the National Register of Historic Places, and is also a local landmark.
Buff brick facade; paired three-sided 2nd story metal bays at center of building; metal parapet with name plate ("Proctor Building") above paired bays; identical 2nd-story bay at north end of building; polygonal 2nd-story corner bay at south corner of facade; historic entrance to hotel at south end of facade, with classical stone surround; metal cornice; continuous metal lintel string course above 2nd-story window openings
Multiple rear additions dating from the early-mid 20th century; east secondary facade design (along with cupola atop west stair tower bay) dates from the 1997 remodeling; original storefronts materials were replaced in the 1950s, and the south corner storefront was extended with an addition that blocked the original open walkway between the Proctor Building and 510-514 N. Milwaukee; storefronts were again replaced in the 1997 rehabilitation with more historically compatible configurations and materials ; the south addition was also removed, and the original corner storefront configuration replaced
South facade facing pedestrian walkway rehabilitated--French doors with wrought iron balconettes at 2nd story, secondary entrance, new masonry work
Other alterations include: replacement windows in original openings on 2nd story (historic photo shows windows with 6/1 configuration)
Old Address (city dir.year
Ramsey Historic Consultants
Date of Construction
Moving Permit #
Building Permit #
Building Permit Description
Original Owner Occupied?
Exterior Alteration Permits
985 (10/19/1954)--refinish with tile floors, new metal entrance doors, recessed 12' from front, wood partition and trim; 75-416 (10/16/1975)--alterations to business building ($55,000); 97-37 (1/28/1997)-removeexisting perVillage apved plans(demolition of former addition closing up south walkway); 97-37 (1/28/1997)--remodeling existing per Village-approved plans; No permit # (5/12/1998)--renovation of furniture store into four stores; 92-351 (1992)--install 21 new vinyl windows in existing openings
Other Permit Information
See National Register Nomination for historic information on building.
Historic photo from the early 20th century at Illinois Digital Archives (in collection of Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and Cook Memorial Public Libary):
1970s Assessor photos of building at Illinois Digital Archives (in collection of Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and Cook Memorial Public Library):
Sanborn Maps--1897 (Sheet 1), 1907 (Sheet 2), 1912 (Sheet 2), 1924 (Sheet 2), 1933 (Sheet 2), 1948 (Sheet 2)
1970s Assessor photos on Illinois Digital Archives--http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/6660/rec/207
Turn of the Century Photo on Illinois Digital Archives (in collection of Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and Cook Memorial Public Library)-- http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/6302/rec/2
Historic Info Compiler