519 N. Milwaukee Avenue


Libertyville, IL 60048
Date of Construction: 1883
Architectural Classification: Two Part Commercial Block (altered)
Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville

Building name


Ground Floor Use
Commercial

Upper Floor Use
Commercial Storage

Current Occupant
The Tavern

Zoning
C-1

Number of Stories
2

Property Index Number
1116300088

Within Local District?
No

Local Dist Contrib/Non-Contrib?
NC

Local Landmark?
No

Year


Local Landmark Eligible?
No

Criteria


NR District Contrib/Non-Contrib
NC

Within District?
No

NR Landmark?
No

Year


NR Eligible?
No

Criteria


Alternate Address?


Category
Building

Condition
Good

Integrity
Major alterations

Current Use
Commerce/Trade

Historic Use
Commerce/Trade

Secondary Structure


NR Second


Architectural Classification
Two Part Commercial Block (altered)

Details


Other Year
1980s/1997

Date source
Plaque; Illinois Digital Archives; permits

Wall Material (Current)
Brick

Wall Material 2 (Current)


Plan
Rectangular

No of Stories
2

Roof Type
Flat

Roof Material
Not Visible

Foundation
Not visible

Porch


Window Material
Aluminum/vinyl

Window Material 2


Window Type


Window Configuration
1-light; multi-light

Significance


Historic Features


Alterations
Historic facade was covered with a slipcover in 1964, and the storefront level was substantially altered. The building was remodeled again around in the 1980s---new facade features corbelled brick cornice, fixed 2nd-story windows with round-arch applied lintels, and single storefront with three-part storefront window and south end entry. Although closer in design to the original, the recent remodeling is substantially different from the original 19th-century design (see 1956 photograph); 2-story rear addition (not historic); secondary west facade with cornice, faux windows, entry (1997)

Old Address (city dir.year


Building Moved?


Moved From


Original Owner


Original Architect


Architect Source


Builder


Surveyor
LR

Surveyor Organization
Ramsey Historic Consultants

Survey Date
May-June 2016

Survey Area
Downtown Libertyville

Old Address


Date of Construction


Moving Permit #


Date Moved


Building Permit #


Date


Building Permit Description


Cost


Original Owner Occupied?


Exterior Alteration Permits
3493 (6/15/1964)--alterations to front facade (aluminum slip cover); 97-271 (5/12/1997)--install fypon-type cornice detail on existing building (west facade); photograph from 1981 Appearance Review Commission shows front facade and storefront level essentially the same as it is now.

Other Permit Information


COA Info


Historic Info
Information on 1950s-era tenants on Illinois Digital Archives (info provided by Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and Cook Memorial Public Library)--"Keswick's was located at 515 N. Milwaukee Avenue. The store sold Gibson greeting cards, costume jewelry, dinnerware, flatware, and "gifts for all occasions." Petranke's Drug Store was located just to the north of Keswick's at 519 N. Milwaukee Avenue."

Other Sources
Sanborn Maps--1897 (Sheet 1), 1907 (Sheet 2), 1912 (Sheet 2), 1924 (Sheet 2), 1933 (Sheet 2), 1948 (Sheet 2)

Historic photograph of building (1950s) on Illinois Digital Archives (in collection of Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and Cook Memorial Public Library)--

http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/1241/rec/2

1970s Assesor Photograph--

http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/6651/rec/1

Historic Info Compiler
LR

Volunteer