Libertyville Histroic Preservation
Beginning Street Number
413

End Street Number

STREET # SUFFIX

Street Name
N. Milwaukee Avenue

PIN

main image
Photo Id:

MilwaukeeAveN413(b)(1).jpg


Building Details
Building name
Cook, Ansel B. House/Cook Memorial Library
Ground Floor Use
Education - library
Upper Floor Use
Education - library
Current Occupant
Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society
Zoning
Number of Stories
Property Index Number
Local
Within Local District?
No

Local Dist Contrib/Non-Contrib?
C

Local Landmark?
Yes

Year
2016

Local Landmark Eligible?
N/A

Criteria

National Register
NR District Contrib/Non-Contrib
C
Within District?
No
NR Landmark?
Yes
Year
2001
NR Eligible?
N/A
Criteria
Alternate Address?
General Information
Category
Building
Condition
Good
Integrity
Historic alterations
Current Use
Education - library
Historic Use
Domestic - single dwelling
Secondary Structure
NR Second
Architectural Description
Architectural Classification
Queen Anne/Neo-Classical
Details
Other Year
1921
Date source
National Register Nomination
Wall Material (Current)
Stucco
Wall Material 2 (Current)
Plan
Rectangular
No of Stories
2.5
Roof Type
Hipped
Roof Material
Wood - shingle
Foundation
Stone
Porch
Full Front
Window Material
Wood
Window Material 2
Window Type
Double Hung
Window Configuration
1/1
Significance
Originally built for Ansel B. Cook, the late 19th-century residence was converted into a public library in 1921. The original Queen Anne design was altered at that time. The house is a visual landmark within the Village of Libertyville, and is both a designated local landmark and individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Historic Features
Steep hipped roof with multiple brick chimneys; projecting front gable dormers; three-sided south bay with mutli-sided roof; historic wood double hung windows; wood windows surrounds with corner blocks; dentil cornice with rosette frieze
Alterations
House remodeled in 1921--stucco cladding, full-height front portico with round columns

Non-historic alterations include: 1-story rear connector built to attach building to new library built in 1968; south side handicap ramp; concrete porch base with wrought iron railings; skylight; replacement door at south side/rear entrance
ADDITIONAL PHOTOGRAPHS
additional_images
Photo Id:

MilwaukeeAveN413(b)(2).jpg


additional_images
Photo Id:

MilwaukeeAveN413(b)(3).jpg


additional_images
Photo Id:

CookHouse(LibertyvilleIllustratedp.jpg


additional_images
Photo Id:

Cook_Memorial_Public_Library(2).jpg


additional_images
Photo Id:

Cook_Memorial_Public_Library.jpg


additional_images
Photo Id:

MilwaukeeAveN413(CookHouse1970s).jpg


Historic Information
Old Address (city dir.year
Building Moved?
Moved From
Original Owner
Cook, Ansel B.
Original Architect
Boyington, William T. (attributed)
Architect Source
National Register Nomination
Builder
Surveyor
LR
Surveyor Organization
Ramsey Historic Consultants
Survey Date
May-June 2016
Survey Area
Downtown Libertyville
Permit/Historic Information
Old Address
Date of Construction
Permit Moving Information
Moving Permit #
Date Moved
Original Permit Information
Building Permit #
Date
Building Permit Description
Cost
Original Owner Occupied?
Exterior Alteration Permits
No permit # (4/15/1998)--restoration of exterior (restore/rebuild porch, chimneys and stucco; repair rotted wood, add security system); 82-259 (11/8/1982)--replace column shafts on and bases on front porch
Other Permit Information
COA Info
Historic Info
History accompanying historic photograph of building on Illinois Digital Archives (photograph and information provided by Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and Cook Memorial Public Library): "The Cook Memorial Library is located at 413 N. Milwaukee Avenue. A history of the library, written in 1996 for the 75th anniversary of the library, reads as follows: "Library service started locally in 1909 when the Alpha Club (now the Libertyville Woman's Club) began a subscription library in the Decker and Bond drugstore in downtown Libertyville. The Ansel B. Cook home and property was left to the village for library and park purposes in 1921 and served as the library's home until 1968 when a new building was completed. The Libertyville Township Library Board was organized in 1924 to operate Cook Memorial Library. In 1967, the library joined the North Suburban library system, thus offering its patrons expanded services. The township library board was dissolved in 1973 with the formation of the Cook Memorial Public Library district. Besides the village of Libertyville, the district now includes Vernon Hills, Indian Creek, Mettawa, Green Oaks and parts of Mundelein." -taken from the 75th anniversary publication of the Cook Memorial Library"

http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/1247/rec/2

Complete history of the house can be found in the National Register Nomination for the property, as well as on the Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society website:

http://www.lmhistory.org/cookhouse.html#top
Other Sources
Sanborn Maps--1924 (Sheets 2 & 3); 1933 (Sheet 2); 1948 (Sheet 2)
Historic Info Compiler
LR
Volunteer