Date of Construction: 1904

Architectural Classification: Queen Anne

Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville


  • 533 Brainerd Avenue Liberytville IL 60048
    42.288728, -87.956898
  • Building Details

    Building name: Gridley, John Seely House

    Ground Floor Use: Residence

    Upper Floor Use: Residential

    Current Occupant: Residential

    Zoning: R-7

    Number of Stories: 2

    Property Index Number: 1116304034

  • Local

    Within Local District?: No

    Local Dist Contrib/Non-Contrib?: C

    Local Landmark?: No

    Year: No

    Local Landmark Eligible?: Yes

    Criteria: A

  • National Register

    NR District Contrib/Non-Contrib: C

    Within District?: No

    NR Landmark?: No

    Year: No

    NR Eligible?: No

    Criteria: No

    Alternate Address?: No

  • General Information

    Category: Building

    Condition: Good

    Integrity: Minor alterations and additions

    Current Use: Domestic - single dwelling

    Historic Use: Domestic - single dwelling

    Secondary Structure: Coach House

    NR Second: C

  • Architectural Description

    Architectural Classification: Queen Anne

    Details: Queen Anne

    Other Year: Queen Anne

    Date source: Daily Harold 2/26/2011

    Wall Material (Current): Hardie board

    Wall Material 2 (Current): Hardie board

    Plan: Irregular

    No of Stories: 2.5

    Roof Type: Hipped

    Roof Material: Asphalt - shingle

    Foundation: Stone

    Porch: Full Front

    Window Material: Aluminum/vinyl

    Window Material 2: Clad Wood

    Window Type: Double Hung

    Window Configuration: 1/1

    Significance: Impressive turn-of-the-century Queen Anne residence with distinctive southeast corner tower. House was rehabilitated in 2011--although many materials are not historic, the replacement materials are historically appropriate.

    Historic Features: Pyramidal hipped main roof; front and side gable-roof bays with cutaway corners; 3-story southeast corner bay with steeply pitched, flared hipped roof

    Alterations: House converted to multi-family some time between 1933 and 1948, and converted back to single family in 2011. Recent alterations are historically appropriate, and include the full front porch (rebuilt in similar manner to original); Hardie-board siding; front door with sidelights; 1-story rear addition; windows are replacement, but historically appropriate type and configuration.

  • Historic Information

    Old Address (city dir.year: House converted to multi-family some time between 1933 and 1948, and converted back to single family in 2011. Recent alterations are historically appropriate, and include the full front porch (rebuilt in similar manner to original); Hardie-board siding; front door with sidelights; 1-story rear addition; windows are replacement, but historically appropriate type and configuration.

    Building Moved?: House converted to multi-family some time between 1933 and 1948, and converted back to single family in 2011. Recent alterations are historically appropriate, and include the full front porch (rebuilt in similar manner to original); Hardie-board siding; front door with sidelights; 1-story rear addition; windows are replacement, but historically appropriate type and configuration.

    Moved From: House converted to multi-family some time between 1933 and 1948, and converted back to single family in 2011. Recent alterations are historically appropriate, and include the full front porch (rebuilt in similar manner to original); Hardie-board siding; front door with sidelights; 1-story rear addition; windows are replacement, but historically appropriate type and configuration.

    Original Owner: Gridley, John Seely

    Original Architect: Gridley, John Seely

    Architect Source: Gridley, John Seely

    Builder: Gridley, John Seely

    Surveyor: LR

    Surveyor Organization: Ramsey Historic Consultants

    Survey Date: May-June 2016

    Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville

  • Permit/Historic Information

    Old Address: Downtown Libertyville

    Date of Construction: 1904

  • Permit Moving Information

    Moving Permit #: 1904

    Date Moved: 1904

  • Original Permit Information

    Building Permit #: 1904

    Date: 1904

    Building Permit Description: 1904

    Cost: 1904

    Original Owner Occupied?: 1904

    Exterior Alteration Permits: 4610 (8/9/1968)--remodel porch; JRA-10-0037 (1/5/2011)--rear addition; interior remodeling (convert from 2-family to single-family)

    Other Permit Information: 4610 (8/9/1968)--remodel porch; JRA-10-0037 (1/5/2011)--rear addition; interior remodeling (convert from 2-family to single-family)

    COA Info: 4610 (8/9/1968)--remodel porch; JRA-10-0037 (1/5/2011)--rear addition; interior remodeling (convert from 2-family to single-family)

    Historic Info: 4610 (8/9/1968)--remodel porch; JRA-10-0037 (1/5/2011)--rear addition; interior remodeling (convert from 2-family to single-family)

    Other Sources: http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20110226/news/702269911/; http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20130517/submitted/705179827/ Historic photograph of building at Illinois Digital Archives (in collection of Libertyville Mundelein Historical Society and Cook Memorial Public Library): "Note on back: "Residence of J.S. Gridley, Brainard Ct. C H Boyes Contr.". A second note reads: "J S Gridley, 603 Brainerd" The address on the house in 2015 is 533 Brainerd Ct. Photograph by Beswick Photo Studio, Libertyville, Ill. The Beswick Photo Studio is listed in the Libertyville section of the Waukegan city directory between 1903 and 1913." http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/6503/rec/4

    Historic Info Compiler: LR

    Volunteer: LR

Print-Friendly PDF
© 2019 PlaceVision Inc | Help | Privacy