Date of Construction: 1883

Architectural Classification: Two Part Commercial Block (altered)

Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville


  • 519 N. Milwaukee Avenue Libertyville IL 60048
    42.288162, -87.954703
  • Building Details

    Building name:

    Ground Floor Use: Commercial

    Upper Floor Use: Commercial Storage

    Current Occupant: The Tavern

    Zoning: C-1

    Number of Stories: 2

    Property Index Number: 1116300088

  • Local

    Within Local District?: No

    Local Dist Contrib/Non-Contrib?: NC

    Local Landmark?: No

    Year: No

    Local Landmark Eligible?: No

    Criteria: No

  • National Register

    NR District Contrib/Non-Contrib: NC

    Within District?: No

    NR Landmark?: No

    Year: No

    NR Eligible?: No

    Criteria: No

    Alternate Address?: No

  • General Information

    Category: Building

    Condition: Good

    Integrity: Major alterations

    Current Use: Commerce/Trade

    Historic Use: Commerce/Trade

    Secondary Structure: Commerce/Trade

    NR Second: Commerce/Trade

  • Architectural Description

    Architectural Classification: Two Part Commercial Block (altered)

    Details: Two Part Commercial Block (altered)

    Other Year: 1980s/1997

    Date source: Plaque; Illinois Digital Archives; permits

    Wall Material (Current): Brick

    Wall Material 2 (Current): Brick

    Plan: Rectangular

    No of Stories: 2

    Roof Type: Flat

    Roof Material: Not Visible

    Foundation: Not visible

    Porch: Not visible

    Window Material: Aluminum/vinyl

    Window Material 2: Aluminum/vinyl

    Window Type: Aluminum/vinyl

    Window Configuration: 1-light; multi-light

    Significance: 1-light; multi-light

    Historic Features: 1-light; multi-light

    Alterations: Historic facade was covered with a slipcover in 1964, and the storefront level was substantially altered. The building was remodeled again around in the 1980s---new facade features corbelled brick cornice, fixed 2nd-story windows with round-arch applied lintels, and single storefront with three-part storefront window and south end entry. Although closer in design to the original, the recent remodeling is substantially different from the original 19th-century design (see 1956 photograph); 2-story rear addition (not historic); secondary west facade with cornice, faux windows, entry (1997)

  • Historic Information

    Old Address (city dir.year: Historic facade was covered with a slipcover in 1964, and the storefront level was substantially altered. The building was remodeled again around in the 1980s---new facade features corbelled brick cornice, fixed 2nd-story windows with round-arch applied lintels, and single storefront with three-part storefront window and south end entry. Although closer in design to the original, the recent remodeling is substantially different from the original 19th-century design (see 1956 photograph); 2-story rear addition (not historic); secondary west facade with cornice, faux windows, entry (1997)

    Building Moved?: Historic facade was covered with a slipcover in 1964, and the storefront level was substantially altered. The building was remodeled again around in the 1980s---new facade features corbelled brick cornice, fixed 2nd-story windows with round-arch applied lintels, and single storefront with three-part storefront window and south end entry. Although closer in design to the original, the recent remodeling is substantially different from the original 19th-century design (see 1956 photograph); 2-story rear addition (not historic); secondary west facade with cornice, faux windows, entry (1997)

    Moved From: Historic facade was covered with a slipcover in 1964, and the storefront level was substantially altered. The building was remodeled again around in the 1980s---new facade features corbelled brick cornice, fixed 2nd-story windows with round-arch applied lintels, and single storefront with three-part storefront window and south end entry. Although closer in design to the original, the recent remodeling is substantially different from the original 19th-century design (see 1956 photograph); 2-story rear addition (not historic); secondary west facade with cornice, faux windows, entry (1997)

    Original Owner: Historic facade was covered with a slipcover in 1964, and the storefront level was substantially altered. The building was remodeled again around in the 1980s---new facade features corbelled brick cornice, fixed 2nd-story windows with round-arch applied lintels, and single storefront with three-part storefront window and south end entry. Although closer in design to the original, the recent remodeling is substantially different from the original 19th-century design (see 1956 photograph); 2-story rear addition (not historic); secondary west facade with cornice, faux windows, entry (1997)

    Original Architect: Historic facade was covered with a slipcover in 1964, and the storefront level was substantially altered. The building was remodeled again around in the 1980s---new facade features corbelled brick cornice, fixed 2nd-story windows with round-arch applied lintels, and single storefront with three-part storefront window and south end entry. Although closer in design to the original, the recent remodeling is substantially different from the original 19th-century design (see 1956 photograph); 2-story rear addition (not historic); secondary west facade with cornice, faux windows, entry (1997)

    Architect Source: Historic facade was covered with a slipcover in 1964, and the storefront level was substantially altered. The building was remodeled again around in the 1980s---new facade features corbelled brick cornice, fixed 2nd-story windows with round-arch applied lintels, and single storefront with three-part storefront window and south end entry. Although closer in design to the original, the recent remodeling is substantially different from the original 19th-century design (see 1956 photograph); 2-story rear addition (not historic); secondary west facade with cornice, faux windows, entry (1997)

    Builder: Historic facade was covered with a slipcover in 1964, and the storefront level was substantially altered. The building was remodeled again around in the 1980s---new facade features corbelled brick cornice, fixed 2nd-story windows with round-arch applied lintels, and single storefront with three-part storefront window and south end entry. Although closer in design to the original, the recent remodeling is substantially different from the original 19th-century design (see 1956 photograph); 2-story rear addition (not historic); secondary west facade with cornice, faux windows, entry (1997)

    Surveyor: LR

    Surveyor Organization: Ramsey Historic Consultants

    Survey Date: May-June 2016

    Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville

  • Permit/Historic Information

    Old Address: Downtown Libertyville

    Date of Construction: Downtown Libertyville

  • Permit Moving Information

    Moving Permit #: Downtown Libertyville

    Date Moved: Downtown Libertyville

  • Original Permit Information

    Building Permit #: Downtown Libertyville

    Date: Downtown Libertyville

    Building Permit Description: Downtown Libertyville

    Cost: Downtown Libertyville

    Original Owner Occupied?: Downtown Libertyville

    Exterior Alteration Permits: 3493 (6/15/1964)--alterations to front facade (aluminum slip cover); 97-271 (5/12/1997)--install fypon-type cornice detail on existing building (west facade); photograph from 1981 Appearance Review Commission shows front facade and storefront level essentially the same as it is now.

    Other Permit Information: 3493 (6/15/1964)--alterations to front facade (aluminum slip cover); 97-271 (5/12/1997)--install fypon-type cornice detail on existing building (west facade); photograph from 1981 Appearance Review Commission shows front facade and storefront level essentially the same as it is now.

    COA Info: 3493 (6/15/1964)--alterations to front facade (aluminum slip cover); 97-271 (5/12/1997)--install fypon-type cornice detail on existing building (west facade); photograph from 1981 Appearance Review Commission shows front facade and storefront level essentially the same as it is now.

    Historic Info: Information on 1950s-era tenants on Illinois Digital Archives (info provided by Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and Cook Memorial Public Library)--"Keswick's was located at 515 N. Milwaukee Avenue. The store sold Gibson greeting cards, costume jewelry, dinnerware, flatware, and "gifts for all occasions." Petranke's Drug Store was located just to the north of Keswick's at 519 N. Milwaukee Avenue."

    Other Sources: Sanborn Maps--1897 (Sheet 1), 1907 (Sheet 2), 1912 (Sheet 2), 1924 (Sheet 2), 1933 (Sheet 2), 1948 (Sheet 2) Historic photograph of building (1950s) on Illinois Digital Archives (in collection of Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and Cook Memorial Public Library)-- http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/1241/rec/2 1970s Assesor Photograph-- http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/6651/rec/1

    Historic Info Compiler: LR

    Volunteer: LR

Print-Friendly PDF
© 2019 PlaceVision Inc | Help | Privacy