Date of Construction: 1925-6

Architectural Classification: Romanesque Revival/Gothic Revival (original building)

Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville


  • 221 Park Place Libertyville IL 60048
    42.28451, -87.95201
  • Building Details

    Building name: St. Joseph School

    Ground Floor Use: School

    Upper Floor Use: School

    Current Occupant: St. Joseph School

    Zoning: I-B

    Number of Stories: 2

    Property Index Number: 2

  • Local

    Within Local District?: No

    Local Dist Contrib/Non-Contrib?: NC

    Local Landmark?: No

    Year: No

    Local Landmark Eligible?: No

    Criteria: No

  • National Register

    NR District Contrib/Non-Contrib: NC

    Within District?: No

    NR Landmark?: No

    Year: No

    NR Eligible?: No

    Criteria: No

    Alternate Address?: No

  • General Information

    Category: Building

    Condition: Good

    Integrity: Major alterations and additions

    Current Use: Education - school

    Historic Use: Education - school

    Secondary Structure: Education - school

    NR Second: Education - school

  • Architectural Description

    Architectural Classification: Romanesque Revival/Gothic Revival (original building)

    Details: International Style (addition)

    Other Year: 1957-8; 1992

    Date source: Libertyville Then & Now (p. 28); permits

    Wall Material (Current): Brick

    Wall Material 2 (Current): Concrete; metal

    Plan: Irregular

    No of Stories: 2 & 3

    Roof Type: Combination

    Roof Material: Asphalt - single/not visible

    Foundation: Concrete

    Porch: East entry

    Window Material: Metal

    Window Material 2: Metal

    Window Type: Double hung, fixed & awning

    Window Configuration: 1/1; 1-light

    Significance: 1/1; 1-light

    Historic Features: Original 1925-6 Romanesque Revival building still partially visible along Maple--red brick exterior, parapet gable main roof; lower front gable bay with crenelated, stepped parapet; brick label molds over select windows; center entry bay (now partially obscured) with stone crest ornament, panel, and pointed-arch window openings at upper stories

    Alterations: 1926 building obscured by multiple additions, dating from the mid-20th century and later. 1957 addition (historic)--2-story south addition features ribbon first-floor windows and ribbon clerestory windows on 2nd story; 1-story projecting north section features a flat roof, recessed entry with round columns, and buff brick exterior; long, 1st-story concrete planters Non-historic alterations include: hipped roof added to south section of building (1992); some windows removed for air conditioning units along east and west facades of south section; multiple additions at rear (west) elevation of building (no date, not historic); metal roofing and replacement windows in north side entry (in front of 1920s school building)

  • Historic Information

    Old Address (city dir.year: 1926 building obscured by multiple additions, dating from the mid-20th century and later. 1957 addition (historic)--2-story south addition features ribbon first-floor windows and ribbon clerestory windows on 2nd story; 1-story projecting north section features a flat roof, recessed entry with round columns, and buff brick exterior; long, 1st-story concrete planters Non-historic alterations include: hipped roof added to south section of building (1992); some windows removed for air conditioning units along east and west facades of south section; multiple additions at rear (west) elevation of building (no date, not historic); metal roofing and replacement windows in north side entry (in front of 1920s school building)

    Building Moved?: 1926 building obscured by multiple additions, dating from the mid-20th century and later. 1957 addition (historic)--2-story south addition features ribbon first-floor windows and ribbon clerestory windows on 2nd story; 1-story projecting north section features a flat roof, recessed entry with round columns, and buff brick exterior; long, 1st-story concrete planters Non-historic alterations include: hipped roof added to south section of building (1992); some windows removed for air conditioning units along east and west facades of south section; multiple additions at rear (west) elevation of building (no date, not historic); metal roofing and replacement windows in north side entry (in front of 1920s school building)

    Moved From: 1926 building obscured by multiple additions, dating from the mid-20th century and later. 1957 addition (historic)--2-story south addition features ribbon first-floor windows and ribbon clerestory windows on 2nd story; 1-story projecting north section features a flat roof, recessed entry with round columns, and buff brick exterior; long, 1st-story concrete planters Non-historic alterations include: hipped roof added to south section of building (1992); some windows removed for air conditioning units along east and west facades of south section; multiple additions at rear (west) elevation of building (no date, not historic); metal roofing and replacement windows in north side entry (in front of 1920s school building)

    Original Owner: 1926 building obscured by multiple additions, dating from the mid-20th century and later. 1957 addition (historic)--2-story south addition features ribbon first-floor windows and ribbon clerestory windows on 2nd story; 1-story projecting north section features a flat roof, recessed entry with round columns, and buff brick exterior; long, 1st-story concrete planters Non-historic alterations include: hipped roof added to south section of building (1992); some windows removed for air conditioning units along east and west facades of south section; multiple additions at rear (west) elevation of building (no date, not historic); metal roofing and replacement windows in north side entry (in front of 1920s school building)

    Original Architect: Hyland & Corse

    Architect Source: Libertyville: Then & Now (p. 28)

    Builder: Peterson & Weeks

    Surveyor: LR

    Surveyor Organization: Ramsey Historic Consultants

    Survey Date: May-June 2016

    Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville

  • Permit/Historic Information

    Old Address: Downtown Libertyville

    Date of Construction: Downtown Libertyville

  • Permit Moving Information

    Moving Permit #: Downtown Libertyville

    Date Moved: Downtown Libertyville

  • Original Permit Information

    Building Permit #: Downtown Libertyville

    Date: Downtown Libertyville

    Building Permit Description: Downtown Libertyville

    Cost: Downtown Libertyville

    Original Owner Occupied?: Downtown Libertyville

    Exterior Alteration Permits: 90-655 (10/26/1990)--remodeling of existing building, adding elevator, adding bridge addition for elevator walkway; 92-482 (8/6/1992)--installing new sloped roof over existing

    Other Permit Information: 90-655 (10/26/1990)--remodeling of existing building, adding elevator, adding bridge addition for elevator walkway; 92-482 (8/6/1992)--installing new sloped roof over existing

    COA Info: 90-655 (10/26/1990)--remodeling of existing building, adding elevator, adding bridge addition for elevator walkway; 92-482 (8/6/1992)--installing new sloped roof over existing

    Historic Info: Original school building along Maple Avenue was completed in 1926. The new school was begun in 1957 and completed in 1959 ("Celebrating the Bi-Centennial: 1776-1976, Libertyville, IL"); From LIBERTYVILLE: THEN & NOW (p. 28): "After many years of consideration, construction started in 1925 on St. Joseph Catholic School. The building, designed by Hyland and Corse, was built at a cost of $80,000. The school opened in 1926 with an enrollment of 150 children. In 1957, ground was broken on a new expansion project adding classrooms, a convent, chapel, and one of the largest grammar school gymnasiums in the archdiocese. With many expansions, the school continues to serve as a kindergarten through eighth educational facility."

    Other Sources: Sanborn Maps--1948

    Historic Info Compiler: LR

    Volunteer: LR

Print-Friendly PDF
© 2019 PlaceVision Inc | Help | Privacy