Date of Construction: 1897

Architectural Classification: Two Part Commercial Block

Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville


  • 428-432 N. Milwaukee Avenue Libertyville IL 60048
    42.287652, -87.954046
  • Building Details

    Building name: Triggs Mercantile/Triggs & Taylor Grocery

    Ground Floor Use: Commercial

    Upper Floor Use: Unknown

    Current Occupant: Equityone Development (428), Steve's Formal Wear (430), IDEA Design/Build (432)

    Zoning: C-1

    Number of Stories: 2

    Property Index Number: 1116411001 - 1116400025 (430)

  • Local

    Within Local District?: No

    Local Dist Contrib/Non-Contrib?: C

    Local Landmark?: No

    Year: No

    Local Landmark Eligible?: Yes

    Criteria: A

  • National Register

    NR District Contrib/Non-Contrib: C

    Within District?: No

    NR Landmark?: No

    Year: No

    NR Eligible?: No

    Criteria: No

    Alternate Address?: No

  • General Information

    Category: Building

    Condition: Good

    Integrity: Minor alterations

    Current Use: Commerce/Trade

    Historic Use: Commerce/Trade

    Secondary Structure: Commerce/Trade

    NR Second: Commerce/Trade

  • Architectural Description

    Architectural Classification: Two Part Commercial Block

    Details: Queen Anne

    Other Year: Queen Anne

    Date source: Sanborn Map (1897); Cook Memorial Library Local History Collection--Triggs & Taylor folder

    Wall Material (Current): Brick

    Wall Material 2 (Current): Metal

    Plan: Rectangular

    No of Stories: 2

    Roof Type: Flat

    Roof Material: Not Visible

    Foundation: Not visible

    Porch: Not visible

    Window Material: Aluminum/vinyl

    Window Material 2: Aluminum/vinyl

    Window Type: Double hung & storefront

    Window Configuration: 1/1; 1-light

    Significance: This Queen Anne commercial block may be a candidate for local landmark designation. The brick detailing and elaborately ornamented corner tower are notable features.

    Historic Features: Red face brick on west and north facades; buff brick ornament around 2nd story windows and on wall under cornice on west facade; Elaborate metal cornice with swag ornament; polygonal northwest corner tower with stamped metal ornament and peaked roof; rustic continuous stone lintels and sills at 2nd story windows; although storefront is not historic, its configuration is historically appropriate (see photo from LIBERTYVILLE ILLUSTRATED, p. 31)

    Alterations: Replacement windows in original openings on 2nd story; non-historic storefront materials (1993); replacement 2nd story window; storefront and first-story windows on north facade bricked in

  • Historic Information

    Old Address (city dir.year: Replacement windows in original openings on 2nd story; non-historic storefront materials (1993); replacement 2nd story window; storefront and first-story windows on north facade bricked in

    Building Moved?: Replacement windows in original openings on 2nd story; non-historic storefront materials (1993); replacement 2nd story window; storefront and first-story windows on north facade bricked in

    Moved From: Replacement windows in original openings on 2nd story; non-historic storefront materials (1993); replacement 2nd story window; storefront and first-story windows on north facade bricked in

    Original Owner: Replacement windows in original openings on 2nd story; non-historic storefront materials (1993); replacement 2nd story window; storefront and first-story windows on north facade bricked in

    Original Architect: Replacement windows in original openings on 2nd story; non-historic storefront materials (1993); replacement 2nd story window; storefront and first-story windows on north facade bricked in

    Architect Source: Replacement windows in original openings on 2nd story; non-historic storefront materials (1993); replacement 2nd story window; storefront and first-story windows on north facade bricked in

    Builder: Replacement windows in original openings on 2nd story; non-historic storefront materials (1993); replacement 2nd story window; storefront and first-story windows on north facade bricked in

    Surveyor: LR

    Surveyor Organization: Ramsey Historic Consultants

    Survey Date: May-June 2016

    Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville

  • Permit/Historic Information

    Old Address: Downtown Libertyville

    Date of Construction: Downtown Libertyville

  • Permit Moving Information

    Moving Permit #: Downtown Libertyville

    Date Moved: Downtown Libertyville

  • Original Permit Information

    Building Permit #: Downtown Libertyville

    Date: Downtown Libertyville

    Building Permit Description: Downtown Libertyville

    Cost: Downtown Libertyville

    Original Owner Occupied?: Downtown Libertyville

    Exterior Alteration Permits: 93-422 (8/5/1993)--alter front of building ($32,000--architectural plans in permit file indicate that the alterations were to storefront level only)

    Other Permit Information: 93-422 (8/5/1993)--alter front of building ($32,000--architectural plans in permit file indicate that the alterations were to storefront level only)

    COA Info: 93-422 (8/5/1993)--alter front of building ($32,000--architectural plans in permit file indicate that the alterations were to storefront level only)

    Historic Info: Building was constructed for Triggs & Taylor after the fire of 1895 destroyed the firm's original building on Milwaukee Avenue. The grocery store was founded by J. Eli Triggs and C. W. Taylor in 1892. Taylor sold his shared to Triggs in 1902, and Triggs retired and sold his shares to his son and Taylor's son Ross in 1914. Ross Taylor sold his shares to A. L. Johnson a few years later. The grocery continued as Triggs and Johnson until 1932. Johnson later sold out of the company, and Triggs continued in the same location until 1942. (https://shelflife.cooklib.org/2015/12/23/triggs-taylor-libertyvilles-hometown-grocier/) Historic photo of building (from 1950s) on Illinois Digital Archives (in collection of the Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and the Cook Memorial Public Library)-- http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/1228/rec/3 Historic photo (turn of the 20th century) on page 31 of LIBERTYVILLE ILLUSTRATED.

    Other Sources: Sanborn Maps--1897, 1907, 1912, 1924, 1933, 1948

    Historic Info Compiler: LR

    Volunteer: LR

Print-Friendly PDF
© 2019 PlaceVision Inc | Help | Privacy