Date of Construction: 1948

Architectural Classification: Colonial Revival

Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville


  • 118 W. Cook Avenue Libertyville IL 60048
    42.287882, -87.955502
  • Building Details

    Building name: Village Fire Department

    Ground Floor Use: Municipal

    Upper Floor Use: Municipal

    Current Occupant: Village Hall

    Zoning: C-1

    Number of Stories: 2

    Property Index Number: 1116305012; 1116305013

  • Local

    Within Local District?: No

    Local Dist Contrib/Non-Contrib?: C

    Local Landmark?: No

    Year: No

    Local Landmark Eligible?: No

    Criteria: No

  • National Register

    NR District Contrib/Non-Contrib: C

    Within District?: No

    NR Landmark?: No

    Year: No

    NR Eligible?: No

    Criteria: No

    Alternate Address?: No

  • General Information

    Category: Building

    Condition: Good

    Integrity: Moderate alterations and additions

    Current Use: Government - city hall

    Historic Use: Government - city hall

    Secondary Structure: Government - city hall

    NR Second: Government - city hall

  • Architectural Description

    Architectural Classification: Colonial Revival

    Details: Colonial Revival

    Other Year: 1970; 1994; 2001

    Date source: Illinois Digital Archives; permits

    Wall Material (Current): Brick

    Wall Material 2 (Current): Aluminum/vinyl

    Plan: Irregular

    No of Stories: 2

    Roof Type: Multi-gable

    Roof Material: Asphalt - shingle

    Foundation: Concrete

    Porch: Concrete

    Window Material: Concrete

    Window Material 2: Aluminum/vinyl

    Window Type: Double Hung

    Window Configuration: 8/8; 12/12

    Significance: 8/8; 12/12

    Historic Features: Front-gable, south-facing bay, and east square tower are part of original building

    Alterations: Building expanded and remodeled when building became the Village Hall in 1993-4--front (south) garage bays filled in with windows; 1-story entry bay addition at southeast corner; clock face added to tower (2001); replacement windows on all facades, most in original openings, some in altered openings (see 1993 architectural drawings)

  • Historic Information

    Old Address (city dir.year: Building expanded and remodeled when building became the Village Hall in 1993-4--front (south) garage bays filled in with windows; 1-story entry bay addition at southeast corner; clock face added to tower (2001); replacement windows on all facades, most in original openings, some in altered openings (see 1993 architectural drawings)

    Building Moved?: Building expanded and remodeled when building became the Village Hall in 1993-4--front (south) garage bays filled in with windows; 1-story entry bay addition at southeast corner; clock face added to tower (2001); replacement windows on all facades, most in original openings, some in altered openings (see 1993 architectural drawings)

    Moved From: Building expanded and remodeled when building became the Village Hall in 1993-4--front (south) garage bays filled in with windows; 1-story entry bay addition at southeast corner; clock face added to tower (2001); replacement windows on all facades, most in original openings, some in altered openings (see 1993 architectural drawings)

    Original Owner: Building expanded and remodeled when building became the Village Hall in 1993-4--front (south) garage bays filled in with windows; 1-story entry bay addition at southeast corner; clock face added to tower (2001); replacement windows on all facades, most in original openings, some in altered openings (see 1993 architectural drawings)

    Original Architect: Building expanded and remodeled when building became the Village Hall in 1993-4--front (south) garage bays filled in with windows; 1-story entry bay addition at southeast corner; clock face added to tower (2001); replacement windows on all facades, most in original openings, some in altered openings (see 1993 architectural drawings)

    Architect Source: Building expanded and remodeled when building became the Village Hall in 1993-4--front (south) garage bays filled in with windows; 1-story entry bay addition at southeast corner; clock face added to tower (2001); replacement windows on all facades, most in original openings, some in altered openings (see 1993 architectural drawings)

    Builder: Building expanded and remodeled when building became the Village Hall in 1993-4--front (south) garage bays filled in with windows; 1-story entry bay addition at southeast corner; clock face added to tower (2001); replacement windows on all facades, most in original openings, some in altered openings (see 1993 architectural drawings)

    Surveyor: LR

    Surveyor Organization: Ramsey Historic Consultants

    Survey Date: May-June 2016

    Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville

  • Permit/Historic Information

    Old Address: Downtown Libertyville

    Date of Construction: Downtown Libertyville

  • Permit Moving Information

    Moving Permit #: Downtown Libertyville

    Date Moved: Downtown Libertyville

  • Original Permit Information

    Building Permit #: Downtown Libertyville

    Date: Downtown Libertyville

    Building Permit Description: Downtown Libertyville

    Cost: Downtown Libertyville

    Original Owner Occupied?: Downtown Libertyville

    Exterior Alteration Permits: JCM-01-0032 (11/20/2001)--clock tower; architectural plans for changes to building as part of conversion to City Hall (3/1/1993)

    Other Permit Information: JCM-01-0032 (11/20/2001)--clock tower; architectural plans for changes to building as part of conversion to City Hall (3/1/1993)

    COA Info: JCM-01-0032 (11/20/2001)--clock tower; architectural plans for changes to building as part of conversion to City Hall (3/1/1993)

    Historic Info: from Illinois Digital Archives (information provided by the Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and the Cook Memorial Public Library)--"Street view of West Cook Street looking east toward Milwaukee Ave with the village hall on the left. Built in 1913, Libertyville's original village hall was located on West Cook Street. According to local historian Dean Larson, the village hall housed the fire station, jail, meeting rooms and the Alpha Club Library (the forerunner of Cook Memorial Library) in addition to the village offices. When the village moved its offices to the new Schertz Municipal Building on East Cook Street in 1970, the old village hall was almost completely demolished and a new fire station was constructed at the site. In 1994 the village returned to its roots and moved back to its original site after remodeling the fire station into a new village hall."

    Other Sources: Sanborn Maps (1948); Historic photos of building on Illinois Digital Archives

    Historic Info Compiler: LR

    Volunteer: LR

Print-Friendly PDF
© 2019 PlaceVision Inc | Help | Privacy