Date of Construction: 1893

Architectural Classification: Queen Anne

Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville


  • 128 Broadway Avenue Liberytville IL 60048
    42.285689, -87.952634
  • Building Details

    Building name: Taylor, Dr. John L. House

    Ground Floor Use: Residence

    Upper Floor Use: Residential

    Current Occupant: Residential

    Zoning: R-8

    Number of Stories: 2

    Property Index Number: 1116414013

  • Local

    Within Local District?: No

    Local Dist Contrib/Non-Contrib?: C

    Local Landmark?: No

    Year: No

    Local Landmark Eligible?: Yes

    Criteria: H

  • National Register

    NR District Contrib/Non-Contrib: C

    Within District?: No

    NR Landmark?: No

    Year: No

    NR Eligible?: No

    Criteria: No

    Alternate Address?: No

  • General Information

    Category: Building

    Condition: Good

    Integrity: Minor alterations

    Current Use: Domestic - single dwelling

    Historic Use: Domestic - single dwelling

    Secondary Structure: Detached garage

    NR Second: NC

  • Architectural Description

    Architectural Classification: Queen Anne

    Details: Queen Anne

    Other Year: Queen Anne

    Date source: Assessor

    Wall Material (Current): Wood

    Wall Material 2 (Current): Wood - shingles

    Plan: Rectangular

    No of Stories: 2.5

    Roof Type: Combination

    Roof Material: Asphalt - shingle

    Foundation: Brick

    Porch: Full Front

    Window Material: Wood

    Window Material 2: Wood

    Window Type: Double hung & casement

    Window Configuration: 1/1; 1-light

    Significance: This 1890s Queen Anne house may be eligible for local landmark designation as the home of Dr. John L. Taylor, a physician who served as Lake County coroner for 43 years.

    Historic Features: Steeply pitched side gable roof; fishscale shingles and sunburst motif on gable walls; polygonal full-height bay with pointed roof at southeast corner of facade; full-front porch structure with triangular pediment over entry; historic wood windows, some with Queen Anne-style upper sash

    Alterations: Replacement floor, railings on front porch; 1-story rear addition and 2nd story rear addition (post-1948); some replacement windows in original openings on west elevation

  • Historic Information

    Old Address (city dir.year: Replacement floor, railings on front porch; 1-story rear addition and 2nd story rear addition (post-1948); some replacement windows in original openings on west elevation

    Building Moved?: Replacement floor, railings on front porch; 1-story rear addition and 2nd story rear addition (post-1948); some replacement windows in original openings on west elevation

    Moved From: Replacement floor, railings on front porch; 1-story rear addition and 2nd story rear addition (post-1948); some replacement windows in original openings on west elevation

    Original Owner: Replacement floor, railings on front porch; 1-story rear addition and 2nd story rear addition (post-1948); some replacement windows in original openings on west elevation

    Original Architect: Replacement floor, railings on front porch; 1-story rear addition and 2nd story rear addition (post-1948); some replacement windows in original openings on west elevation

    Architect Source: Replacement floor, railings on front porch; 1-story rear addition and 2nd story rear addition (post-1948); some replacement windows in original openings on west elevation

    Builder: Replacement floor, railings on front porch; 1-story rear addition and 2nd story rear addition (post-1948); some replacement windows in original openings on west elevation

    Surveyor: LR

    Surveyor Organization: Ramsey Historic Consultants

    Survey Date: May-June 2016

    Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville

  • Permit/Historic Information

    Old Address: Downtown Libertyville

    Date of Construction: 1893

  • Permit Moving Information

    Moving Permit #: 1893

    Date Moved: 1893

  • Original Permit Information

    Building Permit #: 1893

    Date: 1893

    Building Permit Description: 1893

    Cost: 1893

    Original Owner Occupied?: 1893

    Exterior Alteration Permits: 93-474 (8/30/1993)--repairs and replacement to the base and deck of roofed porch

    Other Permit Information: 93-474 (8/30/1993)--repairs and replacement to the base and deck of roofed porch

    COA Info: 93-474 (8/30/1993)--repairs and replacement to the base and deck of roofed porch

    Historic Info: Historic photo (1950s) and information at Illinois Digital Archives ( in collection of Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and Cook Memorial Public LIbrary: http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/1960/rec/1 "This house stands at 128 Broadway, at the northwest corner of Broadway and right Court. It is more than one hundred years old. It was the home of Dr. John L. Taylor who was born in Staceyville, Iowa in 1866 and came to Libertyville as a youth. Taylor graduated from Rush Medical College in 1894 and began practicing medicine in Libertyville. He married Laura Schanck on June 1, 1895. Dr. Taylor was said to have delivered 3000 infants during his 50 years in medical practice; he also served as Lake County coroner for 43 years and was active in civic affairs. Automobiles were an early passion; he drove his first car around town in 1907. A classic example of the "country doctor," Dr. Taylor was well loved and respected by the entire community. On the day of his funeral, May 9, 1944, Libertyville village businesses closed from 2 to 3 o'clock in the afternoon."

    Other Sources: Historic photo of house on p. 38 of LIBERTYVILLE ILLUSTRATED. Sanborn Maps:

    Historic Info Compiler: LR

    Volunteer: LR

Print-Friendly PDF
© 2019 PlaceVision Inc | Help | Privacy