Architectural Classification: Romanesque Revival

Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville


  • 715 N. Milwaukee Avenue Libertyville IL 60048
    42.289948, -87.955154
  • Building Details

    Building name: Original Village Hall

    Ground Floor Use: Civic

    Upper Floor Use: Civic

    Current Occupant: American Legion

    Zoning: C-1

    Number of Stories: 2

    Property Index Number: 1116300164

  • Local

    Within Local District?: No

    Local Dist Contrib/Non-Contrib?: C

    Local Landmark?: No

    Year: No

    Local Landmark Eligible?: Yes

    Criteria: A, D, E, H

  • National Register

    NR District Contrib/Non-Contrib: C

    Within District?: No

    NR Landmark?: No

    Year: No

    NR Eligible?: Yes

    Criteria: A, C

    Alternate Address?: A, C

  • General Information

    Category: Building

    Condition: Good

    Integrity: Minor alterations and additions

    Current Use: Social - meeting hall

    Historic Use: Government - city hall

    Secondary Structure: Government - city hall

    NR Second: Government - city hall

  • Architectural Description

    Architectural Classification: Romanesque Revival

    Details: Neo-Classical

    Other Year: 1946 (removal of cupola); 1950 (addition); 1997 (restoration of cupola

    Date source: Illinois Digital Archives/permits

    Wall Material (Current): Brick

    Wall Material 2 (Current): Stone

    Plan: Rectangular

    No of Stories: 2

    Roof Type: Hipped

    Roof Material: Asphalt - shingle

    Foundation: Stone

    Porch: Stone

    Window Material: Aluminum/vinyl

    Window Material 2: Aluminum/vinyl

    Window Type: Double Hung

    Window Configuration: 1/1

    Significance: Built in 1894, Libertyville's Romanesque Revival-style Town Hall was designed by Chicago architect William Boyington. The cupola was restored to the building in the mid-1990s.

    Historic Features: Steeply pitched hipped roof; brick exterior with corbelled detailing around window bays; stone entry tower on east elevation; classical entry surround with dentil cornice and triangular pediment

    Alterations: Original cupola removed c. 1946, restored in 1996; replacement windows in original openings (1996); original round-arch transoms filled in; 1-story south side addition (1950) that was originally concrete block and covered with brick cladding in 1996 rehab; replacement front door

  • Historic Information

    Old Address (city dir.year: Original cupola removed c. 1946, restored in 1996; replacement windows in original openings (1996); original round-arch transoms filled in; 1-story south side addition (1950) that was originally concrete block and covered with brick cladding in 1996 rehab; replacement front door

    Building Moved?: Original cupola removed c. 1946, restored in 1996; replacement windows in original openings (1996); original round-arch transoms filled in; 1-story south side addition (1950) that was originally concrete block and covered with brick cladding in 1996 rehab; replacement front door

    Moved From: Original cupola removed c. 1946, restored in 1996; replacement windows in original openings (1996); original round-arch transoms filled in; 1-story south side addition (1950) that was originally concrete block and covered with brick cladding in 1996 rehab; replacement front door

    Original Owner: Original cupola removed c. 1946, restored in 1996; replacement windows in original openings (1996); original round-arch transoms filled in; 1-story south side addition (1950) that was originally concrete block and covered with brick cladding in 1996 rehab; replacement front door

    Original Architect: Boyington, William W.

    Architect Source: Illinois Digital Archives

    Builder: Illinois Digital Archives

    Surveyor: LR

    Surveyor Organization: Ramsey Historic Consultants

    Survey Date: May-June 2016

    Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville

  • Permit/Historic Information

    Old Address: Downtown Libertyville

    Date of Construction: Downtown Libertyville

  • Permit Moving Information

    Moving Permit #: Downtown Libertyville

    Date Moved: Downtown Libertyville

  • Original Permit Information

    Building Permit #: Downtown Libertyville

    Date: Downtown Libertyville

    Building Permit Description: Downtown Libertyville

    Cost: Downtown Libertyville

    Original Owner Occupied?: Downtown Libertyville

    Exterior Alteration Permits: 96-591 (8/2/1996)--fabricate and install structural reinforcement for cupola; 96-590 (8/2/1996)--install roofing, tower and south roof as part of proposals attached; 960589 (8/2/1996)--fabricate and install Cupola as per plan

    Other Permit Information: 96-591 (8/2/1996)--fabricate and install structural reinforcement for cupola; 96-590 (8/2/1996)--install roofing, tower and south roof as part of proposals attached; 960589 (8/2/1996)--fabricate and install Cupola as per plan

    COA Info: 96-591 (8/2/1996)--fabricate and install structural reinforcement for cupola; 96-590 (8/2/1996)--install roofing, tower and south roof as part of proposals attached; 960589 (8/2/1996)--fabricate and install Cupola as per plan

    Historic Info: From Illinois Digital Archives (info provided by the Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and the Cook Memorial Public Library)--"The old Town Hall is located at 715 N. Milwaukee Avenue. This building was the last commissioned project of architect William Boyington (see related web site for more information on him). The Town Hall was commissioned in April 1894 by Ansel B. Cook who was the chairman of the building committee and a wealthy masonry contractor. Cook joined forces with Boyington to construct the Romanesque landmark which was used for meetings, lectures, entertainment and Lake County political conventions. In 1973 the American Legion bought the building for $35,000. Libertyville Township continued to use the hall until 1982 when they moved to a new building on Merrill Court. The building underwent some restoration in 1996 when a metal replica of the original cupola was lifted into place, 50 years after its wooden predecessor fell apart. During 2002, an estimated 26 layers of paint were removed from the exterior brick and stone."

    Other Sources: Historic photos on Illinois Digital Archives (in collection of the Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and the Cook-Memorial Public Library)-- http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/6320/rec/1 http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/1306/rec/9 http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/265/rec/3 http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/266/rec/4 http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/1272/rec/7

    Historic Info Compiler: Sanborn Maps--1897 (Sheet 1), 1907 (Sheet 2), 1912 (Sheet 2), 1924 (Sheet 2), 1933 (Sheet 9), 1948 (Sheet 9)

    Volunteer: Sanborn Maps--1897 (Sheet 1), 1907 (Sheet 2), 1912 (Sheet 2), 1924 (Sheet 2), 1933 (Sheet 9), 1948 (Sheet 9)

Print-Friendly PDF
© 2019 PlaceVision Inc | Help | Privacy