Date of Construction: 1897-1900

Architectural Classification: Two Part Commercial Block (altered)

Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville


  • 500 N. Milwaukee Avenue Libertyville IL 60048
    42.287883, -87.954164
  • Building Details

    Building name: Schanck Building

    Ground Floor Use: Commercial

    Upper Floor Use: Unknown

    Current Occupant: Rolland Jewelers

    Zoning: C-1

    Number of Stories: 2

    Property Index Number: 2

  • Local

    Within Local District?: No

    Local Dist Contrib/Non-Contrib?: NC

    Local Landmark?: No

    Year: No

    Local Landmark Eligible?: No

    Criteria: No

  • National Register

    NR District Contrib/Non-Contrib: NC

    Within District?: No

    NR Landmark?: No

    Year: No

    NR Eligible?: No

    Criteria: No

    Alternate Address?: No

  • General Information

    Category: Building

    Condition: Good

    Integrity: Major alterations

    Current Use: Commerce/Trade

    Historic Use: Commerce/Trade

    Secondary Structure: Commerce/Trade

    NR Second: Commerce/Trade

  • Architectural Description

    Architectural Classification: Two Part Commercial Block (altered)

    Details: Two Part Commercial Block (altered)

    Other Year: 1955, 1990s

    Date source: Surveyor/Sanborn Maps/surveyor

    Wall Material (Current): Brick

    Wall Material 2 (Current): Brick

    Plan: Rectangular

    No of Stories: 2

    Roof Type: Flat

    Roof Material: Not Visible

    Foundation: Not visible

    Porch: Not visible

    Window Material: Aluminum/vinyl

    Window Material 2: Aluminum/vinyl

    Window Type: Double hung & storefront

    Window Configuration: 1/1; 1-light

    Significance: 1/1; 1-light

    Historic Features: 1/1; 1-light

    Alterations: Original facade extensively altered/rebuilt in 1955-56--center bay on front facade recessed; original paired storefronts with center 2nd-story entrance replaced with single storefront--no historic materials on facade; non-historic replacement windows in original openings on 2nd-story of south facade; recessed entry with aluminum fixed windows and non-historic door on first story of south facade

  • Historic Information

    Old Address (city dir.year: Original facade extensively altered/rebuilt in 1955-56--center bay on front facade recessed; original paired storefronts with center 2nd-story entrance replaced with single storefront--no historic materials on facade; non-historic replacement windows in original openings on 2nd-story of south facade; recessed entry with aluminum fixed windows and non-historic door on first story of south facade

    Building Moved?: Original facade extensively altered/rebuilt in 1955-56--center bay on front facade recessed; original paired storefronts with center 2nd-story entrance replaced with single storefront--no historic materials on facade; non-historic replacement windows in original openings on 2nd-story of south facade; recessed entry with aluminum fixed windows and non-historic door on first story of south facade

    Moved From: Original facade extensively altered/rebuilt in 1955-56--center bay on front facade recessed; original paired storefronts with center 2nd-story entrance replaced with single storefront--no historic materials on facade; non-historic replacement windows in original openings on 2nd-story of south facade; recessed entry with aluminum fixed windows and non-historic door on first story of south facade

    Original Owner: Original facade extensively altered/rebuilt in 1955-56--center bay on front facade recessed; original paired storefronts with center 2nd-story entrance replaced with single storefront--no historic materials on facade; non-historic replacement windows in original openings on 2nd-story of south facade; recessed entry with aluminum fixed windows and non-historic door on first story of south facade

    Original Architect: Original facade extensively altered/rebuilt in 1955-56--center bay on front facade recessed; original paired storefronts with center 2nd-story entrance replaced with single storefront--no historic materials on facade; non-historic replacement windows in original openings on 2nd-story of south facade; recessed entry with aluminum fixed windows and non-historic door on first story of south facade

    Architect Source: Original facade extensively altered/rebuilt in 1955-56--center bay on front facade recessed; original paired storefronts with center 2nd-story entrance replaced with single storefront--no historic materials on facade; non-historic replacement windows in original openings on 2nd-story of south facade; recessed entry with aluminum fixed windows and non-historic door on first story of south facade

    Builder: Original facade extensively altered/rebuilt in 1955-56--center bay on front facade recessed; original paired storefronts with center 2nd-story entrance replaced with single storefront--no historic materials on facade; non-historic replacement windows in original openings on 2nd-story of south facade; recessed entry with aluminum fixed windows and non-historic door on first story of south facade

    Surveyor: LR

    Surveyor Organization: Ramsey Historic Consultants

    Survey Date: May-June 2016

    Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville

  • Permit/Historic Information

    Old Address: Downtown Libertyville

    Date of Construction: Downtown Libertyville

  • Permit Moving Information

    Moving Permit #: Downtown Libertyville

    Date Moved: Downtown Libertyville

  • Original Permit Information

    Building Permit #: Downtown Libertyville

    Date: Downtown Libertyville

    Building Permit Description: Downtown Libertyville

    Cost: Downtown Libertyville

    Original Owner Occupied?: Downtown Libertyville

    Exterior Alteration Permits: Downtown Libertyville

    Other Permit Information: Downtown Libertyville

    COA Info: Downtown Libertyville

    Historic Info: From Illinois Digital Archives (info provided by the Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and the Cook Memorial Public Library)-- "The Schanck Building, located on the northeast corner of Milwaukee Avenue and Cook Street, housed the King Loan Company. King Loan dealt in auto and furniture loans and offered prompt service: "When you need money just phone, then call at office and complete loan." Another King Loan branch was located at 128 Madison Street in Waukegan. Schanck Hardware was also located in this building. The Schanck family was among the first settlers in Libertyville. George Schanck was born in 1837 and in 1870 he established his hardware business at this corner. The building burned in the fire of 1895 but Mr. Schanck rebuilt his business in a double brick building on the same site. The Schanck building underwent a complete restructuring of its façade sometime between 1955 and 1956. This photograph shows the new front, more modern and contemporary than the red brick of the rest of the building. They did, however, keep the "Schanck" plaque for display on the second floor of the front of the building. Ace Hardware was located just to the north. It was formerly the H.B. Eger Hardware store, which was built in 1896."

    Other Sources: Sanborn Maps--1897 (Sheet 1), 1907 (Sheet 2), 1912 (Sheet 2), 1924 (Sheet 2), 1933 (Sheet 2), 1948 (Sheet 2) Historic photographs of building on Illinois Digital Archives (in collection of the Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and the Cook Memorial Public Library)-- http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/1231/rec/21 http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/2024/rec/4 http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/1231/rec/2

    Historic Info Compiler: LR

    Volunteer: LR

Print-Friendly PDF
© 2019 PlaceVision Inc | Help | Privacy