Date of Construction: 1928

Architectural Classification: Colonial Revival

Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville


  • 219 W. Maple Avenue Liberytville IL 60048
    42.284546, -87.956549
  • Building Details

    Building name: First Presbyterian Church

    Ground Floor Use: Church

    Upper Floor Use: Church

    Current Occupant: Church

    Zoning: I-B

    Number of Stories: 2

    Property Index Number: 1116300138

  • Local

    Within Local District?: No

    Local Dist Contrib/Non-Contrib?: NC

    Local Landmark?: No

    Year: No

    Local Landmark Eligible?: No

    Criteria: No

  • National Register

    NR District Contrib/Non-Contrib: NC

    Within District?: No

    NR Landmark?: No

    Year: No

    NR Eligible?: No

    Criteria: No

    Alternate Address?: No

  • General Information

    Category: Building

    Condition: Good

    Integrity: Major alterations and/or additions

    Current Use: Religion - religious facility

    Historic Use: Religion - religious facility

    Secondary Structure: Religion - religious facility

    NR Second: Religion - religious facility

  • Architectural Description

    Architectural Classification: Colonial Revival

    Details: Colonial Revival

    Other Year: 1961; 1985

    Date source: Illinois Digital Archives; Permits

    Wall Material (Current): Brick

    Wall Material 2 (Current): Brick

    Plan: Irregular

    No of Stories: 2

    Roof Type: Combination

    Roof Material: Combination

    Foundation: Not visible

    Porch: Not visible

    Window Material: Wood

    Window Material 2: Clad Wood

    Window Type: Combination

    Window Configuration: Combination

    Significance: Combination

    Historic Features: Original church building at northwest corner of lot--east end of front (north) facade features full-height pilasters and triangular pediment; three front entries with classical surrounds; 2-story west secondary entrance bay with triangular pediment; historic wood windows; office wing with flat roof and wood cornice

    Alterations: 2-story educational building addition at east end of original building (1961); 2-story addition south of original church building (larger than original building and 1961 addition combined), with new sanctuary and offices--addition features a new main entrance with front portico and steeple along Douglas Avenue

  • Historic Information

    Old Address (city dir.year: 2-story educational building addition at east end of original building (1961); 2-story addition south of original church building (larger than original building and 1961 addition combined), with new sanctuary and offices--addition features a new main entrance with front portico and steeple along Douglas Avenue

    Building Moved?: 2-story educational building addition at east end of original building (1961); 2-story addition south of original church building (larger than original building and 1961 addition combined), with new sanctuary and offices--addition features a new main entrance with front portico and steeple along Douglas Avenue

    Moved From: 2-story educational building addition at east end of original building (1961); 2-story addition south of original church building (larger than original building and 1961 addition combined), with new sanctuary and offices--addition features a new main entrance with front portico and steeple along Douglas Avenue

    Original Owner: 2-story educational building addition at east end of original building (1961); 2-story addition south of original church building (larger than original building and 1961 addition combined), with new sanctuary and offices--addition features a new main entrance with front portico and steeple along Douglas Avenue

    Original Architect: 2-story educational building addition at east end of original building (1961); 2-story addition south of original church building (larger than original building and 1961 addition combined), with new sanctuary and offices--addition features a new main entrance with front portico and steeple along Douglas Avenue

    Architect Source: 2-story educational building addition at east end of original building (1961); 2-story addition south of original church building (larger than original building and 1961 addition combined), with new sanctuary and offices--addition features a new main entrance with front portico and steeple along Douglas Avenue

    Builder: 2-story educational building addition at east end of original building (1961); 2-story addition south of original church building (larger than original building and 1961 addition combined), with new sanctuary and offices--addition features a new main entrance with front portico and steeple along Douglas Avenue

    Surveyor: LR

    Surveyor Organization: Ramsey Historic Consultants

    Survey Date: May-June 2016

    Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville

  • Permit/Historic Information

    Old Address: Downtown Libertyville

    Date of Construction: Downtown Libertyville

  • Permit Moving Information

    Moving Permit #: Downtown Libertyville

    Date Moved: Downtown Libertyville

  • Original Permit Information

    Building Permit #: Downtown Libertyville

    Date: Downtown Libertyville

    Building Permit Description: Downtown Libertyville

    Cost: Downtown Libertyville

    Original Owner Occupied?: Downtown Libertyville

    Exterior Alteration Permits: #2782 (11/15/1960)--educational building addition; No permit # (12/17/1992)--aluminum soffit and fascia; 85-86 (4/9/1985)--new sanctuary, offices, classrooms, and kitchen ($1,700,000.00)

    Other Permit Information: #86-314 (7/14/1986)--storage shed

    COA Info: From Illinois Digital Archives (info from Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and Cook Memorial Public Library)--"This church was organized in 1886. The first building was on East Church Street on land that had belonged to Horace Butler. The first pastor was Reverend George P. Folsom. In 1825, the congregation bought a lot at the corner of Douglas Street and Maple Avenue. The building erected thereon was dedicated in 1928 and is shown in this photograph. Over the years the building was added to and in 1955 the adjoining property was purchased. An education building was erected and dedicated in 1961."

    Historic Info: Historic photograph of church on Illinois Digital Archives (in collection of Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and Cook Memorial Public Library)--http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/2095/rec/12

    Other Sources: Sanborn Maps--1924, 1933, 1948

    Historic Info Compiler: LR

    Volunteer: LR

Print-Friendly PDF
© 2019 PlaceVision Inc | Help | Privacy