Architectural Classification: Renaissance Revival

Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville


  • 520 E. Church Street Libertyville IL 60048
    42.286409, -87.946427
  • Building Details

    Building name: Earl Ladder Company/Fould's Milling Company

    Ground Floor Use: Manufacturing

    Upper Floor Use: Manufacturing

    Current Occupant: Foulds Pasta Company

    Zoning: Foulds Pasta Company

    Number of Stories: Multiple

    Property Index Number: Multiple

  • Local

    Within Local District?: No

    Local Dist Contrib/Non-Contrib?: C

    Local Landmark?: No

    Year: No

    Local Landmark Eligible?: Yes

    Criteria: H

  • National Register

    NR District Contrib/Non-Contrib: C

    Within District?: No

    NR Landmark?: No

    Year: No

    NR Eligible?: Yes

    Criteria: A

    Alternate Address?: A

  • General Information

    Category: Building

    Condition: Good

    Integrity: Moderate alterations and additions

    Current Use: Industry/Processing/Extraction - manufacturing facility

    Historic Use: Industry/Processing/Extraction - manufacturing facility

    Secondary Structure: Industry/Processing/Extraction - manufacturing facility

    NR Second: Industry/Processing/Extraction - manufacturing facility

  • Architectural Description

    Architectural Classification: Renaissance Revival

    Details: Renaissance Revival

    Other Year: additions--1906 (c); 1920 (c); 1955 (c)

    Date source: Illinois Digital Archives/Sanborn maps/surveyor

    Wall Material (Current): Brick

    Wall Material 2 (Current): Wood/concrete block

    Plan: Irregular

    No of Stories: 3.5, 3, 2, 1

    Roof Type: Flat

    Roof Material: Not Visible

    Foundation: Not visible

    Porch: Not visible

    Window Material: Wood

    Window Material 2: Aluminum/vinyl, Glass Block, Metal

    Window Type: Combination

    Window Configuration: Combination

    Significance: The Foulds Milling Company first began operation in this building (constructed for a ladder company in 1894) in 1905-6, and continues to manufacture pasta at this site. The building, which includes several historic additions dating from the early-to-mid 20th century, is eligible for designation as a local landmark and may also be eligible for individual listing to the National Register of Historic Places for its associations with Libertyville's industrial development and history.

    Historic Features: 3.5-story original section of building features stepped parapet with raised center bay; brick corbelling below parapet; paired round-arch window openings at 4th floor of front facade 3-story section east of original 3.5-story building is an historic addition dating from c. 1905-6--buff brick exterior matching original building, four slightly recessed bays across front facade, segmental arch window openings 2-story section east of 3-story c. 1905-6 addition dating from c. 1920 (Sanborn maps indicate that the building was originally 1-story, with 2nd story added some time between 1924 and 1933) Office addition at west end (late 1920s-early 1930s)

    Alterations: [see historic features for historic additions] 2-story east end addition dating from c. 1955-60 Wood shed-roof and hipped-roof entry bays along south (front) facade; most windows on building either replacement (glass block, metal, and vinyl) in downsized openings or bricked in

  • Historic Information

    Old Address (city dir.year: [see historic features for historic additions] 2-story east end addition dating from c. 1955-60 Wood shed-roof and hipped-roof entry bays along south (front) facade; most windows on building either replacement (glass block, metal, and vinyl) in downsized openings or bricked in

    Building Moved?: [see historic features for historic additions] 2-story east end addition dating from c. 1955-60 Wood shed-roof and hipped-roof entry bays along south (front) facade; most windows on building either replacement (glass block, metal, and vinyl) in downsized openings or bricked in

    Moved From: [see historic features for historic additions] 2-story east end addition dating from c. 1955-60 Wood shed-roof and hipped-roof entry bays along south (front) facade; most windows on building either replacement (glass block, metal, and vinyl) in downsized openings or bricked in

    Original Owner: [see historic features for historic additions] 2-story east end addition dating from c. 1955-60 Wood shed-roof and hipped-roof entry bays along south (front) facade; most windows on building either replacement (glass block, metal, and vinyl) in downsized openings or bricked in

    Original Architect: [see historic features for historic additions] 2-story east end addition dating from c. 1955-60 Wood shed-roof and hipped-roof entry bays along south (front) facade; most windows on building either replacement (glass block, metal, and vinyl) in downsized openings or bricked in

    Architect Source: [see historic features for historic additions] 2-story east end addition dating from c. 1955-60 Wood shed-roof and hipped-roof entry bays along south (front) facade; most windows on building either replacement (glass block, metal, and vinyl) in downsized openings or bricked in

    Builder: [see historic features for historic additions] 2-story east end addition dating from c. 1955-60 Wood shed-roof and hipped-roof entry bays along south (front) facade; most windows on building either replacement (glass block, metal, and vinyl) in downsized openings or bricked in

    Surveyor: LR

    Surveyor Organization: Ramsey Historic Consultants

    Survey Date: May-June 2016

    Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville

  • Permit/Historic Information

    Old Address: Downtown Libertyville

    Date of Construction: Downtown Libertyville

  • Permit Moving Information

    Moving Permit #: Downtown Libertyville

    Date Moved: Downtown Libertyville

  • Original Permit Information

    Building Permit #: Downtown Libertyville

    Date: Downtown Libertyville

    Building Permit Description: Downtown Libertyville

    Cost: Downtown Libertyville

    Original Owner Occupied?: Downtown Libertyville

    Exterior Alteration Permits: Downtown Libertyville

    Other Permit Information: Downtown Libertyville

    COA Info: Downtown Libertyville

    Historic Info: From Illinois Digital Archives (information provided by Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and Cook Memorial Public Library District): "Factory and headquarters of Foulds Macaroni Company which moved to Libertyville from Cincinnati in 1906. The structure, originally a ladder factory, was built in 1894 with timbers from the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago. In its early years Foulds was a major employer in Libertyville, well-known for its summer company picnics and winter Christmas parties to which the whole town was invited."

    Other Sources: Historic photos of building at Illinois Digital Archives (in collection of Libertyville Mundelein Historical Society and Cook Memorial Public Library): http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/106/rec/3 http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/6167/rec/1 http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/2089/rec/2 Historic photo of building before additions (c. 1897) on p. 43 of LIBERTYVILLE ILLUSTRATED Sanborn Maps: 1907(Sheet 3), 1912 (Sheet 4), 1924 (Sheet 7), 1933 (Sheet 6), 1948 (Sheet 6)

    Historic Info Compiler: LR

    Volunteer: LR

Print-Friendly PDF
© 2019 PlaceVision Inc | Help | Privacy