Date of Construction: 1891

Architectural Classification: Queen Anne (altered)

Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville


  • 120-132 W. Park Avenue Libertyville IL 60048
    42.283287, -87.954158
  • Building Details

    Building name: Parkhurst, E. W. House (Ray-Burnett Funeral Home)

    Ground Floor Use: Funeral Home

    Upper Floor Use: Funeral Home

    Current Occupant: Burnett Dane Funeral Home

    Zoning: C-2

    Number of Stories: 1

    Property Index Number: 1121201005

  • Local

    Within Local District?: No

    Local Dist Contrib/Non-Contrib?: NC

    Local Landmark?: No

    Year: No

    Local Landmark Eligible?: No

    Criteria: No

  • National Register

    NR District Contrib/Non-Contrib: NC

    Within District?: No

    NR Landmark?: No

    Year: No

    NR Eligible?: No

    Criteria: No

    Alternate Address?: No

  • General Information

    Category: Building

    Condition: Good

    Integrity: Major alterations and additions

    Current Use: Funerary--mortuary

    Historic Use: Domestic - single dwelling

    Secondary Structure: Detached garage

    NR Second: NC

  • Architectural Description

    Architectural Classification: Queen Anne (altered)

    Details: Queen Anne (altered)

    Other Year: Queen Anne (altered)

    Date source: Illinois Digital Archives

    Wall Material (Current): Aluminum/vinyl

    Wall Material 2 (Current): Brick & concrete block

    Plan: Irregular

    No of Stories: 2.5 & 1

    Roof Type: Combination

    Roof Material: Asphalt - shingle

    Foundation: Not visible

    Porch: Front entry

    Window Material: Wood

    Window Material 2: Wood

    Window Type: Double hung & other

    Window Configuration: 1/1; 2/2 horizontal; 1-light

    Significance: 1/1; 2/2 horizontal; 1-light

    Historic Features: Original Queen Anne house surrounded by additions dating from the 1970s--original roof line, west side polygonal tower, and 2nd-story elevations still extant

    Alterations: Aluminum siding on original house (1986); replacement windows in original openings; awnings over window openings on original house; multiple 1-story additions surrounding original structure along south, east, and west sides (1971)

  • Historic Information

    Old Address (city dir.year: Aluminum siding on original house (1986); replacement windows in original openings; awnings over window openings on original house; multiple 1-story additions surrounding original structure along south, east, and west sides (1971)

    Building Moved?: Aluminum siding on original house (1986); replacement windows in original openings; awnings over window openings on original house; multiple 1-story additions surrounding original structure along south, east, and west sides (1971)

    Moved From: Aluminum siding on original house (1986); replacement windows in original openings; awnings over window openings on original house; multiple 1-story additions surrounding original structure along south, east, and west sides (1971)

    Original Owner: Parkhurst, E. W.

    Original Architect: Parkhurst, E. W.

    Architect Source: Parkhurst, E. W.

    Builder: Parkhurst, E. W.

    Surveyor: LR

    Surveyor Organization: Ramsey Historic Consultants

    Survey Date: May-June 2016

    Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville

  • Permit/Historic Information

    Old Address: Downtown Libertyville

    Date of Construction: Downtown Libertyville

  • Permit Moving Information

    Moving Permit #: Downtown Libertyville

    Date Moved: Downtown Libertyville

  • Original Permit Information

    Building Permit #: Downtown Libertyville

    Date: Downtown Libertyville

    Building Permit Description: Downtown Libertyville

    Cost: Downtown Libertyville

    Original Owner Occupied?: Downtown Libertyville

    Exterior Alteration Permits: 86-200 (5/19/1986)--aluminum siding and trim; 6494 (9/16/1971)--addition to building to include new lobby, two chapels, garage, wall, and stair to existing 2nd floor (brick exterior walls); 2437 (7/20/1959)--addition and alterations to existing funeral home plus new garage; #293 (4/15/1952)--build chapel in front of present funeral home

    Other Permit Information: 86-200 (5/19/1986)--aluminum siding and trim; 6494 (9/16/1971)--addition to building to include new lobby, two chapels, garage, wall, and stair to existing 2nd floor (brick exterior walls); 2437 (7/20/1959)--addition and alterations to existing funeral home plus new garage; #293 (4/15/1952)--build chapel in front of present funeral home

    COA Info: 86-200 (5/19/1986)--aluminum siding and trim; 6494 (9/16/1971)--addition to building to include new lobby, two chapels, garage, wall, and stair to existing 2nd floor (brick exterior walls); 2437 (7/20/1959)--addition and alterations to existing funeral home plus new garage; #293 (4/15/1952)--build chapel in front of present funeral home

    Historic Info: From Illinois Digital Archives (information provided by Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and Cook Memorial Public Library): "Paul G. Ray went into the funeral home business in 1912 along the west side of Milwaukee Avenue. The business was known as the Ray Funeral Home. As the business grew, Ray bought the Victorian house which E. W. Parkhurst had built in 1891 at 120 W. Park Avenue and in 1937 he moved his funeral home to that site, shown here. Mr. Burnett was assisted in the funeral business by his son-in-law Kenneth Burnett and the name of the business was changed to Ray-Burnett. After Ray's death in 1963 the name was changed to Burnett Funeral Home." http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/2116/rec/12

    Other Sources: Sanborn Maps--1924 (Sheet 9); 1933 (Sheet 5); 1948 (Sheet 5) Historic photograph on page 31 of LIBERTYVILLE ILLUSTRATED

    Historic Info Compiler: LR

    Volunteer: LR

Print-Friendly PDF
© 2019 PlaceVision Inc | Help | Privacy