Date of Construction: 1878

Architectural Classification: Queen Anne/Neo-Classical

Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville


  • 413 N. Milwaukee Avenue Liberytville IL 60048
    42.287205, -87.955307
  • Building Details

    Building name: Cook, Ansel B. House/Cook Memorial Library

    Ground Floor Use: Education - library

    Upper Floor Use: Education - library

    Current Occupant: Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society

    Zoning: Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society

    Number of Stories: Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society

    Property Index Number: Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society

  • Local

    Within Local District?: No

    Local Dist Contrib/Non-Contrib?: C

    Local Landmark?: Yes

    Year: 2016

    Local Landmark Eligible?: N/A

    Criteria: N/A

  • National Register

    NR District Contrib/Non-Contrib: C

    Within District?: No

    NR Landmark?: Yes

    Year: 2001

    NR Eligible?: N/A

    Criteria: N/A

    Alternate Address?: N/A

  • General Information

    Category: Building

    Condition: Good

    Integrity: Historic alterations

    Current Use: Education - library

    Historic Use: Domestic - single dwelling

    Secondary Structure: Domestic - single dwelling

    NR Second: Domestic - single dwelling

  • Architectural Description

    Architectural Classification: Queen Anne/Neo-Classical

    Details: Queen Anne/Neo-Classical

    Other Year: 1921

    Date source: National Register Nomination

    Wall Material (Current): Stucco

    Wall Material 2 (Current): Stucco

    Plan: Rectangular

    No of Stories: 2.5

    Roof Type: Hipped

    Roof Material: Wood - shingle

    Foundation: Stone

    Porch: Full Front

    Window Material: Wood

    Window Material 2: Wood

    Window Type: Double Hung

    Window Configuration: 1/1

    Significance: Originally built for Ansel B. Cook, the late 19th-century residence was converted into a public library in 1921. The original Queen Anne design was altered at that time. The house is a visual landmark within the Village of Libertyville, and is both a designated local landmark and individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

    Historic Features: Steep hipped roof with multiple brick chimneys; projecting front gable dormers; three-sided south bay with mutli-sided roof; historic wood double hung windows; wood windows surrounds with corner blocks; dentil cornice with rosette frieze

    Alterations: House remodeled in 1921--stucco cladding, full-height front portico with round columns Non-historic alterations include: 1-story rear connector built to attach building to new library built in 1968; south side handicap ramp; concrete porch base with wrought iron railings; skylight; replacement door at south side/rear entrance

  • Historic Information

    Old Address (city dir.year: House remodeled in 1921--stucco cladding, full-height front portico with round columns Non-historic alterations include: 1-story rear connector built to attach building to new library built in 1968; south side handicap ramp; concrete porch base with wrought iron railings; skylight; replacement door at south side/rear entrance

    Building Moved?: House remodeled in 1921--stucco cladding, full-height front portico with round columns Non-historic alterations include: 1-story rear connector built to attach building to new library built in 1968; south side handicap ramp; concrete porch base with wrought iron railings; skylight; replacement door at south side/rear entrance

    Moved From: House remodeled in 1921--stucco cladding, full-height front portico with round columns Non-historic alterations include: 1-story rear connector built to attach building to new library built in 1968; south side handicap ramp; concrete porch base with wrought iron railings; skylight; replacement door at south side/rear entrance

    Original Owner: Cook, Ansel B.

    Original Architect: Boyington, William T. (attributed)

    Architect Source: National Register Nomination

    Builder: National Register Nomination

    Surveyor: LR

    Surveyor Organization: Ramsey Historic Consultants

    Survey Date: May-June 2016

    Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville

  • Permit/Historic Information

    Old Address: Downtown Libertyville

    Date of Construction: Downtown Libertyville

  • Permit Moving Information

    Moving Permit #: Downtown Libertyville

    Date Moved: Downtown Libertyville

  • Original Permit Information

    Building Permit #: Downtown Libertyville

    Date: Downtown Libertyville

    Building Permit Description: Downtown Libertyville

    Cost: Downtown Libertyville

    Original Owner Occupied?: Downtown Libertyville

    Exterior Alteration Permits: No permit # (4/15/1998)--restoration of exterior (restore/rebuild porch, chimneys and stucco; repair rotted wood, add security system); 82-259 (11/8/1982)--replace column shafts on and bases on front porch

    Other Permit Information: No permit # (4/15/1998)--restoration of exterior (restore/rebuild porch, chimneys and stucco; repair rotted wood, add security system); 82-259 (11/8/1982)--replace column shafts on and bases on front porch

    COA Info: No permit # (4/15/1998)--restoration of exterior (restore/rebuild porch, chimneys and stucco; repair rotted wood, add security system); 82-259 (11/8/1982)--replace column shafts on and bases on front porch

    Historic Info: History accompanying historic photograph of building on Illinois Digital Archives (photograph and information provided by Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and Cook Memorial Public Library): "The Cook Memorial Library is located at 413 N. Milwaukee Avenue. A history of the library, written in 1996 for the 75th anniversary of the library, reads as follows: "Library service started locally in 1909 when the Alpha Club (now the Libertyville Woman's Club) began a subscription library in the Decker and Bond drugstore in downtown Libertyville. The Ansel B. Cook home and property was left to the village for library and park purposes in 1921 and served as the library's home until 1968 when a new building was completed. The Libertyville Township Library Board was organized in 1924 to operate Cook Memorial Library. In 1967, the library joined the North Suburban library system, thus offering its patrons expanded services. The township library board was dissolved in 1973 with the formation of the Cook Memorial Public Library district. Besides the village of Libertyville, the district now includes Vernon Hills, Indian Creek, Mettawa, Green Oaks and parts of Mundelein." -taken from the 75th anniversary publication of the Cook Memorial Library" http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/1247/rec/2 Complete history of the house can be found in the National Register Nomination for the property, as well as on the Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society website: http://www.lmhistory.org/cookhouse.html#top

    Other Sources: Sanborn Maps--1924 (Sheets 2 & 3); 1933 (Sheet 2); 1948 (Sheet 2)

    Historic Info Compiler: LR

    Volunteer: LR

Print-Friendly PDF
© 2019 PlaceVision Inc | Help | Privacy