Date of Construction: 1956

Architectural Classification: One Part Commercial Block

Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville


  • 426 N. Milwaukee Avenue Libertyville IL 60048
    42.287546, -87.953859
  • Building Details

    Building name: Petranek Pharmacy

    Ground Floor Use: Commercial

    Upper Floor Use: N/A

    Current Occupant: Petranek Pharmacy

    Zoning: C-1

    Number of Stories: 1

    Property Index Number: 1116400026

  • Local

    Within Local District?: No

    Local Dist Contrib/Non-Contrib?: NC

    Local Landmark?: No

    Year: No

    Local Landmark Eligible?: No

    Criteria: No

  • National Register

    NR District Contrib/Non-Contrib: NC

    Within District?: No

    NR Landmark?: No

    Year: No

    NR Eligible?: No

    Criteria: No

    Alternate Address?: No

  • General Information

    Category: Building

    Condition: Good

    Integrity: Major alterations

    Current Use: Commerce/Trade

    Historic Use: Commerce/Trade

    Secondary Structure: Commerce/Trade

    NR Second: Commerce/Trade

  • Architectural Description

    Architectural Classification: One Part Commercial Block

    Details: One Part Commercial Block

    Other Year: 1993

    Date source: Permits

    Wall Material (Current): Brick

    Wall Material 2 (Current): Brick

    Plan: Rectangular

    No of Stories: 1

    Roof Type: Flat

    Roof Material: Asphalt - shingle

    Foundation: Not visible

    Porch: Not visible

    Window Material: Metal

    Window Material 2: Metal

    Window Type: Storefront

    Window Configuration: 1-light

    Significance: 1-light

    Historic Features: Curving storefront with stone bulkhead and metal storefront windows

    Alterations: Much of front facade covered with dryvit, parapet wall rebuilt with center gable (1993); signage

  • Historic Information

    Old Address (city dir.year: Much of front facade covered with dryvit, parapet wall rebuilt with center gable (1993); signage

    Building Moved?: Much of front facade covered with dryvit, parapet wall rebuilt with center gable (1993); signage

    Moved From: Much of front facade covered with dryvit, parapet wall rebuilt with center gable (1993); signage

    Original Owner: Much of front facade covered with dryvit, parapet wall rebuilt with center gable (1993); signage

    Original Architect: Dart, Edward D.

    Architect Source: Permit

    Builder: Pickus Construction

    Surveyor: LR

    Surveyor Organization: Ramsey Historic Consultants

    Survey Date: May-June 2016

    Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville

  • Permit/Historic Information

    Old Address: Downtown Libertyville

    Date of Construction: Downtown Libertyville

  • Permit Moving Information

    Moving Permit #: Downtown Libertyville

    Date Moved: Downtown Libertyville

  • Original Permit Information

    Building Permit #: 1089

    Date: 3/17/1955

    Building Permit Description: Brick one story business

    Cost: $50,000.00

    Original Owner Occupied?: $50,000.00

    Exterior Alteration Permits: 93-526 (9/17/1993)--new exterior dryvit facade with peaked parapet wall

    Other Permit Information: 93-526 (9/17/1993)--new exterior dryvit facade with peaked parapet wall

    COA Info: 93-526 (9/17/1993)--new exterior dryvit facade with peaked parapet wall

    Historic Info: From Illinois Digital Archives (info provided by the Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and Cook Memorial Public Library)--"Petranek's Pharmacy was located at 426 North Milwaukee Avenue near the southeast corner of East Cook Street and North Milwaukee Avenue. It was a successor to the historic Lovell's Pharmacy, owned by Kenneth Lovell, which opened for business at that site in 1876. Over the years, several people ran the pharmacy business. J. Swann took over in 1896; the pharmacy changed to Miller Drugs in 1946. Louis J. Petranek (Lou) took over in the late 1940s and the business became Petranek's in 1950. A fire in 1954 did $125,000 worth of damage to the building, destroying the Lovell building. For a period of two years or so, Petranek's operated at 519 North Milwaukee Avenue while the building in the photograph was erected. Petranek's reopened at 426 North Milwaukee Avenue in 1956. Lou Petranek left in 1960. A series of owners took over, keeping the name Petranek's and operating as the only independent pharmacy in the area. Also pictured in this photograph are Mooney's Fur Shop (428 N. Milwaukee Ave.), Enevold Realty Company (430 N. Milwaukee Ave.), and Morrison Shoes (432 N. Milwaukee Ave.)."

    Other Sources: Sanborn Maps--1948 (Sheet 2) Historic photos from the 1950s and 1970s on Illinois Digital Archives (in collection of the Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and Cook Memorial Public Library)-- http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/2031/rec/2 http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/6641/rec/3

    Historic Info Compiler: LR

    Volunteer: LR

Print-Friendly PDF
© 2019 PlaceVision Inc | Help | Privacy