Date of Construction: 1903

Architectural Classification: Two Part Commercial Block

Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville


  • 516-528 N. Milwaukee Avenue Libertyville IL 60048
    42.288357, -87.954239
  • Building Details

    Building name: Proctor Building

    Ground Floor Use: Commercial

    Upper Floor Use: Unknown

    Current Occupant: Roach, Johnston & Thut (516), Electric Design Source (518), Someone's in the Kitchen (522), Tropik Sun Fruit & Nuts (524),

    Zoning: C-1

    Number of Stories: 2

    Property Index Number: 1116400015 (524)

  • Local

    Within Local District?: No

    Local Dist Contrib/Non-Contrib?: C

    Local Landmark?: Yes

    Year: 2016

    Local Landmark Eligible?: N/A

    Criteria: N/A

  • National Register

    NR District Contrib/Non-Contrib: C

    Within District?: No

    NR Landmark?: Yes

    Year: 1998

    NR Eligible?: N/A

    Criteria: N/A

    Alternate Address?: N/A

  • General Information

    Category: Building

    Condition: Good

    Integrity: Rehabilitated (1997)

    Current Use: Commerce/Trade

    Historic Use: Commerce/Trade; Domestic - hotel

    Secondary Structure: Commerce/Trade; Domestic - hotel

    NR Second: Commerce/Trade; Domestic - hotel

  • Architectural Description

    Architectural Classification: Two Part Commercial Block

    Details: Queen Anne

    Other Year: 1997

    Date source: National Register Nomination; permits

    Wall Material (Current): Brick

    Wall Material 2 (Current): Metal

    Plan: Rectangular

    No of Stories: 2

    Roof Type: Flat

    Roof Material: Not Visible

    Foundation: Not visible

    Porch: Not visible

    Window Material: Wood

    Window Material 2: Wood

    Window Type: Double hung & storefront

    Window Configuration: 1/1; 1-light

    Significance: The Proctor Building, a Queen Anne-style Commercial Block from the early 20th century, is listed individually on the National Register of Historic Places, and is also a local landmark.

    Historic Features: Buff brick facade; paired three-sided 2nd story metal bays at center of building; metal parapet with name plate ("Proctor Building") above paired bays; identical 2nd-story bay at north end of building; polygonal 2nd-story corner bay at south corner of facade; historic entrance to hotel at south end of facade, with classical stone surround; metal cornice; continuous metal lintel string course above 2nd-story window openings

    Alterations: Multiple rear additions dating from the early-mid 20th century; east secondary facade design (along with cupola atop west stair tower bay) dates from the 1997 remodeling; original storefronts materials were replaced in the 1950s, and the south corner storefront was extended with an addition that blocked the original open walkway between the Proctor Building and 510-514 N. Milwaukee; storefronts were again replaced in the 1997 rehabilitation with more historically compatible configurations and materials ; the south addition was also removed, and the original corner storefront configuration replaced South facade facing pedestrian walkway rehabilitated--French doors with wrought iron balconettes at 2nd story, secondary entrance, new masonry work Other alterations include: replacement windows in original openings on 2nd story (historic photo shows windows with 6/1 configuration)

  • Historic Information

    Old Address (city dir.year: Multiple rear additions dating from the early-mid 20th century; east secondary facade design (along with cupola atop west stair tower bay) dates from the 1997 remodeling; original storefronts materials were replaced in the 1950s, and the south corner storefront was extended with an addition that blocked the original open walkway between the Proctor Building and 510-514 N. Milwaukee; storefronts were again replaced in the 1997 rehabilitation with more historically compatible configurations and materials ; the south addition was also removed, and the original corner storefront configuration replaced South facade facing pedestrian walkway rehabilitated--French doors with wrought iron balconettes at 2nd story, secondary entrance, new masonry work Other alterations include: replacement windows in original openings on 2nd story (historic photo shows windows with 6/1 configuration)

    Building Moved?: Multiple rear additions dating from the early-mid 20th century; east secondary facade design (along with cupola atop west stair tower bay) dates from the 1997 remodeling; original storefronts materials were replaced in the 1950s, and the south corner storefront was extended with an addition that blocked the original open walkway between the Proctor Building and 510-514 N. Milwaukee; storefronts were again replaced in the 1997 rehabilitation with more historically compatible configurations and materials ; the south addition was also removed, and the original corner storefront configuration replaced South facade facing pedestrian walkway rehabilitated--French doors with wrought iron balconettes at 2nd story, secondary entrance, new masonry work Other alterations include: replacement windows in original openings on 2nd story (historic photo shows windows with 6/1 configuration)

    Moved From: Multiple rear additions dating from the early-mid 20th century; east secondary facade design (along with cupola atop west stair tower bay) dates from the 1997 remodeling; original storefronts materials were replaced in the 1950s, and the south corner storefront was extended with an addition that blocked the original open walkway between the Proctor Building and 510-514 N. Milwaukee; storefronts were again replaced in the 1997 rehabilitation with more historically compatible configurations and materials ; the south addition was also removed, and the original corner storefront configuration replaced South facade facing pedestrian walkway rehabilitated--French doors with wrought iron balconettes at 2nd story, secondary entrance, new masonry work Other alterations include: replacement windows in original openings on 2nd story (historic photo shows windows with 6/1 configuration)

    Original Owner: Multiple rear additions dating from the early-mid 20th century; east secondary facade design (along with cupola atop west stair tower bay) dates from the 1997 remodeling; original storefronts materials were replaced in the 1950s, and the south corner storefront was extended with an addition that blocked the original open walkway between the Proctor Building and 510-514 N. Milwaukee; storefronts were again replaced in the 1997 rehabilitation with more historically compatible configurations and materials ; the south addition was also removed, and the original corner storefront configuration replaced South facade facing pedestrian walkway rehabilitated--French doors with wrought iron balconettes at 2nd story, secondary entrance, new masonry work Other alterations include: replacement windows in original openings on 2nd story (historic photo shows windows with 6/1 configuration)

    Original Architect: Multiple rear additions dating from the early-mid 20th century; east secondary facade design (along with cupola atop west stair tower bay) dates from the 1997 remodeling; original storefronts materials were replaced in the 1950s, and the south corner storefront was extended with an addition that blocked the original open walkway between the Proctor Building and 510-514 N. Milwaukee; storefronts were again replaced in the 1997 rehabilitation with more historically compatible configurations and materials ; the south addition was also removed, and the original corner storefront configuration replaced South facade facing pedestrian walkway rehabilitated--French doors with wrought iron balconettes at 2nd story, secondary entrance, new masonry work Other alterations include: replacement windows in original openings on 2nd story (historic photo shows windows with 6/1 configuration)

    Architect Source: Multiple rear additions dating from the early-mid 20th century; east secondary facade design (along with cupola atop west stair tower bay) dates from the 1997 remodeling; original storefronts materials were replaced in the 1950s, and the south corner storefront was extended with an addition that blocked the original open walkway between the Proctor Building and 510-514 N. Milwaukee; storefronts were again replaced in the 1997 rehabilitation with more historically compatible configurations and materials ; the south addition was also removed, and the original corner storefront configuration replaced South facade facing pedestrian walkway rehabilitated--French doors with wrought iron balconettes at 2nd story, secondary entrance, new masonry work Other alterations include: replacement windows in original openings on 2nd story (historic photo shows windows with 6/1 configuration)

    Builder: Multiple rear additions dating from the early-mid 20th century; east secondary facade design (along with cupola atop west stair tower bay) dates from the 1997 remodeling; original storefronts materials were replaced in the 1950s, and the south corner storefront was extended with an addition that blocked the original open walkway between the Proctor Building and 510-514 N. Milwaukee; storefronts were again replaced in the 1997 rehabilitation with more historically compatible configurations and materials ; the south addition was also removed, and the original corner storefront configuration replaced South facade facing pedestrian walkway rehabilitated--French doors with wrought iron balconettes at 2nd story, secondary entrance, new masonry work Other alterations include: replacement windows in original openings on 2nd story (historic photo shows windows with 6/1 configuration)

    Surveyor: LR

    Surveyor Organization: Ramsey Historic Consultants

    Survey Date: May-June 2016

    Survey Area: Downtown Libertyville

  • Permit/Historic Information

    Old Address: Downtown Libertyville

    Date of Construction: Downtown Libertyville

  • Permit Moving Information

    Moving Permit #: Downtown Libertyville

    Date Moved: Downtown Libertyville

  • Original Permit Information

    Building Permit #: Downtown Libertyville

    Date: Downtown Libertyville

    Building Permit Description: Downtown Libertyville

    Cost: Downtown Libertyville

    Original Owner Occupied?: Downtown Libertyville

    Exterior Alteration Permits: 985 (10/19/1954)--refinish with tile floors, new metal entrance doors, recessed 12' from front, wood partition and trim; 75-416 (10/16/1975)--alterations to business building ($55,000); 97-37 (1/28/1997)-removeexisting perVillage apved plans(demolition of former addition closing up south walkway); 97-37 (1/28/1997)--remodeling existing per Village-approved plans; No permit # (5/12/1998)--renovation of furniture store into four stores; 92-351 (1992)--install 21 new vinyl windows in existing openings

    Other Permit Information: 985 (10/19/1954)--refinish with tile floors, new metal entrance doors, recessed 12' from front, wood partition and trim; 75-416 (10/16/1975)--alterations to business building ($55,000); 97-37 (1/28/1997)-removeexisting perVillage apved plans(demolition of former addition closing up south walkway); 97-37 (1/28/1997)--remodeling existing per Village-approved plans; No permit # (5/12/1998)--renovation of furniture store into four stores; 92-351 (1992)--install 21 new vinyl windows in existing openings

    COA Info: 985 (10/19/1954)--refinish with tile floors, new metal entrance doors, recessed 12' from front, wood partition and trim; 75-416 (10/16/1975)--alterations to business building ($55,000); 97-37 (1/28/1997)-removeexisting perVillage apved plans(demolition of former addition closing up south walkway); 97-37 (1/28/1997)--remodeling existing per Village-approved plans; No permit # (5/12/1998)--renovation of furniture store into four stores; 92-351 (1992)--install 21 new vinyl windows in existing openings

    Historic Info: See National Register Nomination for historic information on building. Historic photo from the early 20th century at Illinois Digital Archives (in collection of Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and Cook Memorial Public Libary): http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/6302/rec/2 1970s Assessor photos of building at Illinois Digital Archives (in collection of Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and Cook Memorial Public Library): http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/6654/rec/2 http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/6660/rec/1

    Other Sources: Sanborn Maps--1897 (Sheet 1), 1907 (Sheet 2), 1912 (Sheet 2), 1924 (Sheet 2), 1933 (Sheet 2), 1948 (Sheet 2) 1970s Assessor photos on Illinois Digital Archives--http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/6660/rec/207 http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/6654/rec/2 Turn of the Century Photo on Illinois Digital Archives (in collection of Libertyville-Mundelein Historical Society and Cook Memorial Public Library)-- http://www.idaillinois.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/cookmemo11/id/6302/rec/2

    Historic Info Compiler: LR

    Volunteer: LR

Print-Friendly PDF
© 2019 PlaceVision Inc | Help | Privacy